Advanced search

Year 7 dd with not fully diagnosed dyslexia

(15 Posts)
sunglasses Wed 07-Sep-16 22:52:42

My dd was assessed by a private tutor as having dyslexia in year 5. Struggled with reading all through years 1-4, spelling pretty bad, difficulty with memory and organisation, telling the time, days and dates etc. and maths.The primary school she attends wouldn't accept the report as an official diagnosis of dyslexia but her teachers were made aware of it and in year 6 especially were very good/ supportive, She got extra time in SATs and actually did well getting just a bit more than the pass mark in all subjects. Now she has just started secondary school when should I be talking to someone about her dyslexia? Should I have an Ed Psych report first or is it best to speak to her teacher? or the SEN dept ?? She is only 3 days in so not sure how wise it is to steam in there too soon as she doesn't at present have an "official" for want of a better word diagnosis. Would the SEN dept recommend an Ed Psych. We are in North London if that is any help to anyone replying with advice.

shggg245 Wed 07-Sep-16 22:57:36

Can't offer any specific advice but I'm watching with this interest as I could've written your post. My ds is in exactly the same situation. I'm planning on seeing the senco once he's settled in. Good luck.

sunglasses Wed 07-Sep-16 23:02:59

Thanks for replying. I feel a bit clueless and haven't quite worked out how to deal with the whole Secondary school thing yet! It all still feels very new and strange.

HeddaGarbled Wed 07-Sep-16 23:05:31

I would ask for an appointment with her form teacher and/or the SENCo. That's not "steaming in", that's just making them aware. The primary should have passed information on but you can't be sure that they have so you are just double checking.

If she had extra time in her SATs, the primary school either did an assessment of their own or accepted the assessment from the private tutor even if they didn't fully accept the dyslexia diagnosis.

The school may organise an Ed Psych report themselves though these do cost the school quite a lot so if they have a lot of children who need assessing, they will prioritise the ones that are causing the most concern.

They may provide good support and exam arrangements without a formal diagnosis of dyslexia, but if they won't that's the time to push for a proper diagnostic assessment, either through the school if they'll do it, or privately if they won't.

Sofabitch Wed 07-Sep-16 23:07:51

I was in the same situation. I had to pay for a private educational psychologist assessment in the end. As the school said they could only fund assessments for the worst 3 children a year!

Was worth every penny though as now all the support is in place

Wolfiefan Wed 07-Sep-16 23:08:22

I would approach the SENCO. They can guide you through the best way to get an assessment and ensure extra support in class and time in exams if necessary. Worth also cc ing tutor so they can suggest ideas to help with organisation etc.
I'm sure I'm teaching you to suck eggs but get a copy of the HW and lesson timetable. Ensure she knows how to use the HW diary and is filling it in. She should pack her bag the night before. A box or something to store school books in could prevent loss. Ensure you know when PE is so you can remind if necessary (and make sure kit is clean!!!)
One last thought is that planners or HW diaries often have key spellings in. May be helpful?

Bestthingever Wed 07-Sep-16 23:13:50

How exactly did the tutor diagnose her? To properly diagnose you need a range of formal and informal assessments. It takes quite a lot of time and only qualified people can do them. Is that what your tutor did and are you sure she was qualified? I'm amazed how often I hear parents say that a child has been diagnosed by a private tutor.

shggg245 Wed 07-Sep-16 23:13:51

My ds had a reader for his sats and sat in a quiet room. Not sure if he got extra time, but the reader just made sure he understood the questions properly. He did OK in maths but his spelling is of the wall. He also has some memory issues.

I don't want to label him but feel he does need some's difficult as he seems quite happy at the moment. In the past he's said 'I'm so stupid' - it's absolutely heartbreaking to hear him beating himself up like that.

I'll let you know how we get on. smile

sunglasses Wed 07-Sep-16 23:17:27

Thanks so much everyone for your advice. We are doing all the packing bags the night before etc and she is getting better at organising herself as she has gotten older. Am more than happy today for an Ed Psych report but will approach the school first to discuss the best way to go about it.

PikachuBoo Wed 07-Sep-16 23:30:42

E-mail the SENCO, including the report, and with a summary.
State what happened in primary after dx.

Some schools provide different sorts of pocket timetables to help students with SEN, such as colour coded, or ones that have just a day at a time.

You may find the SENCO very welcoming and a follow-up telephone call may be all you need to set things going. If you don't get a good response by email, ask for a meeting asap.

Keep factual and focussed. And keep up communication. All the time. Don't let it slip.

Alibobbob Wed 07-Sep-16 23:37:34

Do you still have a copy of the assessment from year 5? What recommendations were made a writing slope/pencil grips/stabilo pens etc?

I agree with PP it does sound as though school did take the assessment into account when he took the SATS.

I would speak to the SENCO in the new school requesting a meeting. I would give the SENCO a copy of the assessment prior to the meeting so it can be disgusted.

The sooner you meet the better so that they can get on with helping.

Good luck

sunglasses Thu 08-Sep-16 07:41:47

Just spotted these new comments. The tutor is qualified SEN with dyslexia qualifications and PATOSS qualification however not at the level required to assess. Has had 30 years of experience though. He did a range of tests to assess. This is why a full ed psych report would be better for us all. The school did an assessment to qualify for extra time.
I will email the SENCO with the report and request a meeting. Thanks everyone.

datingbarb Thu 08-Sep-16 19:31:31

My dd is 13 (year 9) and I have been convinced since she started primary that she may have dyslexia/ disculluia or something she has really struggled.

Her primary let her down badly and I'm now finally getting some help from the school SENCO but they have told me then can look at her but to get a dyslexic diagnosis it will cost me £500 shock does this sound right? As a single parent that just isn't a option but I'm so worried about my dd future she is still unable to tell the time, add 13+13 together or even half the number 5

Alibobbob Thu 08-Sep-16 22:25:43

I have never known a school charge parents for a diagnosis are you sure they said they would charge you? Could you have been mistaken? Wouldn't this be covered by a pupil premium or something similar?

There is a really good dyspraxia support group on Facebook who are really good advising on legal aspects (I know it's a group for dyspraxia but it's really a good group - I am not sure if I am allowed to post the details for the group on here).

Didiplanthis Fri 09-Sep-16 14:14:35

A private full ed psych assessment is about 500. A dyslexia specialist with assessment qualifications will be about 300. Just looked into it with dd. I don't think as assessment though school should cost the parents anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now