Deep pressure resources for SPD

(9 Posts)
MollyBloomYes Thu 21-Jul-16 21:43:52

DS is 2. Not diagnosed with SPD yet but looks like it may be heading that way. He is constantly seeking deep pressure and as a consequence in covered in tiny bruises from him slamming into me, digging hands and toes into me, pinching and occasionally biting. He also often guides my hands to squeeze his arms, legs, top of head etc.

I need something for him to squeeze to take the heat off me for a bit, it's really painful! Play dough makes him gag so that's out and I don't have the money for OT toys or resources.

Any ideas for anything I could make/buy which are budget friendly. I'm sure someone will come up with something that I'll kick myself for not thinking of! I did consider a balloon filled with flour but then shuddered at the prospective mess if he starts biting!

LifeIsGoodish Thu 21-Jul-16 21:51:10

Put the balloon in a sock.

LifeIsGoodish Thu 21-Jul-16 21:52:46

Hair scrunchies: the sort that are in a big piece of fabric, and also the sort that look like old-fashioned coiled telephone cable.

LifeIsGoodish Thu 21-Jul-16 21:55:32

How is your sewing? You could sew pair of large floor cushions together down opposite sides (ie one on top of the other) to make a hug-tunnel for him.

MsHaveNaiceHam Thu 21-Jul-16 22:07:58

DD1 loves BluTac...she'll always have a piece in her pocket, particularly if she has to do something stressy (like go to the supermarket).

Ideas

Set up a "heavy work" obstacle course at home e.g. crawl under the coffee table, then carry the full laundry basket from point A to B, then spray the windows with a spray bottle and wipe them off, then write your name in chalk, lying on the patio etc etc

You'll have lots of resources at home without buying stuff....google home sensory diet for different ideas.

I saw somebody recommend using a weighing scales against the wall and the child had to push had to get the number up...this helped them to gauge how much pressure they could exert.

scaredofAIBU Thu 21-Jul-16 22:18:23

Hot water bottle (full of cold water) on his lap when he is sitting down, for pressure? Or put a sofa cushion over his legs?

Theraputty is quite cheap, £4 or so a tub on amazon - it's not like playdoh more like Silly Putty if you remember that (smooth and plasticky not floury like playdoh)

Stress balls are also cheap, £1 on amazon

Might he enjoy squeezing out a wet flannel or tea cloth (of course best in the bath or garden...)

I guess you already do wrapping him tightly in a big blanket. If you see a second hand swim jacket (the ones with the floats) that would be a way to produce pressure on him. Similarly armbands could 'squeeze' his arms/legs.

He might like one of those head massagers with lots of wires (at 2 you'd have to use it on him).

Sorry I have no particular quals or experience so some of these may be bad ideas.

MollyBloomYes Fri 22-Jul-16 15:42:03

Oh these are all marvellous, thank you so much! I'm useless at sewing but my mum isn't, love the cushion idea!

LifeIsGoodish Fri 22-Jul-16 19:27:01

If your DM sews, maybe she can make her DGC a weighted blanket or weighted vest? There are plenty of online explanations how to make them.

LifeIsGoodish Sat 23-Jul-16 14:10:59

Ds hast just been sorting out his fiddle toys (he uses them for school). He says this one is the best:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now