Talk

Advanced search

advice on how to help 8 yr old with dyslexia with spelling

(6 Posts)
ilovesushi Thu 14-Jul-16 18:17:48

My son who has dyslexia is just getting to the end of Y3 and can barely write. We've had some great support with actual handwriting from his OT but his spelling is absolutely appalling. He still hasn't a clue about really basic words like 'was' or 'they'. He absolutely HATES writing with a passion and will do anything to avoid it. He is doing PAT at school if that means anything to anyone but I am not convinced it is working. Does anyone have any ideas?

Toffeelatteplease Thu 14-Jul-16 18:23:09

Does your school have access to core 5? It is a dyslexia internet based computer program and totally brilliant.

ilovesushi Fri 15-Jul-16 18:46:42

Thanks! I'll look into it. x

loopygoose Wed 17-Aug-16 08:55:35

I have been using spellingtutor which is the only thing that seems to have really worked. You can read about it in my blog on Dyslexia and what has worked for us.
loopygoosedarling.wordpress.com

hazeyjane Wed 17-Aug-16 09:03:46

We are just starting word wasp with dd2 (9). Hoping that it helps.

bumbleclat Wed 24-Aug-16 09:13:24

Try Toe By Toe it's a very good intervention programme in the form of a book that is based on the principle of 'overlearning' it worked wonders for my step daughter (aged 8)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now