Advanced search

Educational psychologist recommendations please

(12 Posts)
Stargazing25 Tue 12-Jul-16 18:27:10


My seven year old son has been experiencing various problems with literacy, reading and concentration. Whilst the school are on the case, they will invariably have hoops to jump through before he can be referred to an EP.

My son also has been exhibiting real anger at home, getting overly frustrated and lashing out.

I would therefore like to have him seen privately by an EP myself.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the South West London/Surrey borders? Also could you give me an idea of cost? It was suggested to me that it would cost in the region of £700-900.

Many thanks.

Jinglebellsarenearlyhere Tue 12-Jul-16 18:31:45

No recommendations as we used someone in south east London. But yes £600 - £700 is about right. You can do a search on the British Psychological Society for registered educational psychologist in your area.

LIZS Tue 12-Jul-16 18:32:22

Try achippp

Senac32 Tue 12-Jul-16 18:46:29

Good Lord - £6-700shock I used to be an EP (retired now), never did any private work. I expect you need insurance etc these days.
But sorry OP, I don't know anyone in your area. Hope you find the help you need for your son, it does sound as if his learning problems are linked with his behaviour problems. But he needs an uptodate assessment - I'm out of touch now.

JellyMouldJnr Tue 12-Jul-16 18:49:27

you can search either on 'find a psychologist' on the BPS website or go to your local Dyslexia Action branch - they also do assessments.

LIZS Tue 12-Jul-16 19:22:54

We've also just found someone local via patoss.

Stargazing25 Wed 13-Jul-16 10:31:44

Thanks so much. I will definitely look into those options.

It is very expensive but I am prepared to pay if it helps.

LIZS Wed 13-Jul-16 11:35:55

I think our initial one was £750, then £500 a couple of years later, now being quoted £300/350 for a 16+ assessment for HE/DSA.

Muddledmike Fri 05-Aug-16 17:21:25

John Mackeown in Brighton excellent. Brilliant with tribunal too.

SENPARENT Sun 07-Aug-16 18:47:30

Sorry don't know anywhere in your area but this guy is brilliant:

Eve79 Fri 26-Aug-16 13:18:12

hi Stargazing25
did you find a educational psychologist? We are having similar issues with our son at the moment and look for someone to assess him?

wizzywig Fri 26-Aug-16 13:23:22

If your son is state educated make sure your council will accept private diagnoses and/ or private ed psych recommendations. Our one takes it into consideration not like an nhs ed psych report which they would have to accept

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now