son's medical team contacting his school

(20 Posts)
Kanga59 Thu 26-May-16 20:47:22

my son has complex medical needs and is starting at mainstream pre-school in September.

regarding letting school know the protocol for keeping him safe, can you share our experiences please

ideally I would like my son's medical team.to discuss and agree a plan with me for sty. and then I communicate it.to the school

however the nurse wants to phone the school and sort it out and she will let me know once done

this doesn't seem right to me. can she contact the school and discuss my child without my consent?

Kanga59 Thu 26-May-16 20:48:31

whoops. sorry about the typos. hopefully it still makes sense

*your experiences please
*plan with me first

MilkAndFenty Thu 26-May-16 20:53:21

Following as this will be us next year and I'm interested to see how it works. I've heard also that the parent has to arrange the nurses meeting.

neolara Thu 26-May-16 20:55:10

Why don't you want the nurse to talk to the school?

OddBoots Thu 26-May-16 20:59:35

I can see why the pre-school needs to be involved from the beginning because there is no point you and the medical team agreeing things that the pre-school can't then fulfil. Have you tried suggesting that all three of you sit together and work through it all together?

Kanga59 Thu 26-May-16 21:26:02

I disagree oddboots. first and foremost we keep my son safe and set out what needs to be done to achieve this. second we help the preschool meet the objectives set out in the plan.

neolara. parents should.be involved in all decisions to do with their children, especially critical ones such as this.

I think a more pertinent question is, why isn't the nurse being inclusive of me

does anyone know the answer to my question about whether the nurse can go ahead and arrange a plan,off her own back?

almostthirty Thu 26-May-16 21:29:17

No she needs your permission. In cases like these a TAC meeting should take place (team around the child) which involves all of the people (or as many people as can meet on the same day) sitting down in a meeting to discuss either their ehcp (education health and care plan) or myplan/my plan +.

Balletgirlmum Thu 26-May-16 21:30:06

It's much easier & less chance of miscommunication if the discussions are direct. It's not cutting you out & im sure you will be involved.

MariaSklodowska Thu 26-May-16 21:33:56

" . can she contact the school and discuss my child without my consent?"
yes she does not need your permission for this

MrsJayy Thu 26-May-16 21:34:30

The nurse needs your permission to contact the preschool she cant discuss your sons needs and care without your consent perhaps the nurse thinks she is doing you a favour though

Kanga59 Thu 26-May-16 21:40:43

Maria your answer differs from the other people. can you tell me why you think she CAN contact them please

Justbeingnosey123 Thu 26-May-16 21:41:04

Yes the nurse needs permission to speak to am organisation outside the health sector about your son. However it is also good for them to tall directly establish a relationship going forward eat, as others have said ask for a meeting between you all. I'm sure the nurse won't object.

BackforGood Thu 26-May-16 21:43:03

You must ALL sit in the same room at the same time to write the care plan.
There is no way a school, or pre-school should take a child with complex medical needs without direct advice from medical professonals.

Kanga59 Thu 26-May-16 21:43:59

I totally agree! in The meeting today, she asked the name of the school, wrote it.down and said she would contact them. I said I'd like to be involved and could it be a conference call and she didn't commit

I think maybe she was trying to be helpful. We already have 6 consultants plus SALT and EYSENIT. I know where everything is and that I have good overview. This nurses approach just annoyed me.a bit. she seemed a bit vigilante! it needs to be inclusive of everyone. thanks for Al the speedy replies this eve. I'm gonna sleep on it and phone her tomorrow.

Kanga59 Thu 26-May-16 21:45:06

The nurse is based at GOSH in London. We live IN Oxfordshire. so an in person meeting is not.possible (she said)

Justbeingnosey123 Thu 26-May-16 22:03:41

One room isn't an option then however there are many other ways confernce call, video calls etc are all possible to do with some planning. Sounds like the nurse tried to take the simplest route but if your not comfortable go back and ask for something else.

MrsJayy Thu 26-May-16 22:07:43

Perhaps she is trying to take some pressure off you so his transition goes well iyswim

zzzzz Thu 26-May-16 22:15:35

Just ask point blank for what YOU want. I let the nurse train school and then I retrain them I have good contact with school and provide written plans for trips and emergencies. I don't work and am dds primary carer.

OddBoots Thu 26-May-16 22:15:41

Would it be better if you had the first meeting with the pre-school then the nurse can phone after that at which point you could have a second meeting with the pre-school and get it all formalised?

I would imagine you have a pretty good idea of what would be needed to be done so the phone call with the nurse would just be a box ticking thing unless there was disagreement between you and the pre-school about what are reasonable adjustments for them to make.

MilkAndFenty Thu 26-May-16 23:33:41

My team is at GOSH as well and I was under the impression that they communicate with the local community nursing team who then is the connected if thy makes sense, or they type a detailed written plan which is sent to both you and the school- this is how we've been told it will happen. Can you request for a GOSH nurse to travel? That would be much better if you can, I can see why thatvis your preference as they have the best understanding of your child and their needs. In my experience the community nurses are often unsure about things and liase with GOSH for most decisions anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now