Talk

Advanced search

Dyspraxia meeting with GP

(6 Posts)
ErrrrrNo Sun 01-May-16 17:08:40

Hi,
I Have a meeting with a GP on Tuesday regarding a referral for possible Dyspraxia in my 7 year old son.
The school SEN has given me a letter backing a referral for further testing and my son will be with me at the meeting.
I want to try and explain to him what the meeting is about in a positive way but I'm finding it hard to find a way to explain it that doesn't sound negative.
He already has allergies, eczema and eye problems and often asks when his sister will also get these things, I'm just not sure how to explain it to him.
Any advice would be appreciated!

sandiedc01 Thu 07-Jul-16 07:56:12

Hiya,
Saw the consultant yesterday about the same thing my DS is 10, the educational psychologist is the main cog in his schooling. She has taken my DS for a CAT assessment and will report back as to her findings. My consultant wrote to the school and instructed her to assess him as well as my DS having hearing/speech and language assessed to cover all bases. Chat to your SEN at school. Hope this helps.

Tweak32 Thu 07-Jul-16 08:10:30

maybe you can present it as a way of explaining some of the things he finds difficult and he can then look at ways of doing things differently so it isn't so much of a prob for him. so it's less about more testing etc and more of a solution based process. I also think there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that it's a pain in the ass and how frustrating going back and forth for appointments is etc but that once its done he will have a better time. hope that helps in some way, its what i say to my students but they are a bit older.

sandiedc01 Thu 07-Jul-16 08:22:18

I've just realised I've posted on completely the wrong dyspraxic thread. So sorry
I've included DS in all meetings so he's aware and picked all the stuff he's amazing at against the stuff he finds tricky - fortunately we're not all brilliant at everything so we just offset. It was tricky in the first instance but now it's absolutely fine

GinIceAndASlice Thu 07-Jul-16 08:34:59

My dd is 5 and had become aware that she was "clumsy" compared to her reception class mates. Does your DC have any awareness yet? I would agree with Tweak and focus on "we are looking to get you to be an even better footballer/rugby player/gymnast etc."

We were referred by the school sen co direct to the occupational therapy team who assessed her at home, then spent time in her school and finally did some formal assessments at their center and recommendations were made for physio. The physio assessed her needs and she attends a group physio group session which is brilliant and lots of fun. She actually loves it and we are seeing results in other areas like swimming which previously despite weekly lessons for 2 years and lots of enthusiasm she couldn't swim.

I keep things light and breezy.

TeenAndTween Sat 09-Jul-16 12:03:32

With my DDs I have gone down the line of 'you know how you find XX and YY a bit harder compared to others at school? Well we are going to see Dr ZZ to see if she has any ideas on how to make things easier for you'

With DD2 we used to see 'the balance doctor' for her coordination and the 'sounds lady' for her speech therapy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now