Reading program for Year 1 DS with mild dyspraxia

(9 Posts)
underactivethyroidmum Tue 26-Apr-16 11:46:49

My DS has just been diagnosed with mild dyspraxia, he has poor core strength and some cognitive issues, however he is also really struggling to learn to read.
He is currently following the schools phonics program however he is struggling and is slowly becoming disillusioned as his classmates are way ahead of him.
I've looked at wordshark, reading eggs and the oxford learning tree reading programs and wondered if any fellow mumsnetters could point me in the direction as to which one would be most suitable.
Ideally I would prefer one which can be downloaded onto the Ipad and that he will find fun as I am worried he will loose his enthusiasm for reading.

Imaginosity Sat 28-May-16 10:56:37

I used the jolly phonics app and practised every day - kind of intensively for about a year

Google 'jolly phonics word bank' too. I printed off the ai, op, ee, oa words in a large font and cut them into flashcards. I used a highlighter to colour the 'ai' part. I'd focus on 'ai' for a few days until he was really familiar with all the ai words and then move on to oa etc.

I also go flashcards of the 100 most common words and learning to recognise these was really helpful.

CodyKing Sun 29-May-16 22:33:33

Look at precision teaching -

Very simulate to flash cards but it's a challenge

CodyKing Sun 29-May-16 22:35:03

Can I add - look at Oxford owl online - it reads stories to your child at a child age level rather than a reading age level - exposes him to stuff he wouldn't normally read and lots of free books and games at the end

Amberdiamond Sun 29-May-16 22:52:41

My DS has dyspraxia and attends a special school. There they have been using the Oxford Project X scheme. He started with the phonics range and has worked his way through. I was so impressed by these books that I've recently ordered the scheme for the primary school where I work to use with our more reluctant readers, they've been a hit.

midnightlurker Sun 29-May-16 22:57:20

Get his vision checked too - for tracking and focus problems.

jaynb50 Mon 30-May-16 12:05:23

There is a new app just launched, its called froggy match it. Looks really good, may be worth a try.its designed by a teacher!

999WineNow Wed 01-Jun-16 21:58:02

Project X Alien adventures has really captured the interest of my DS

tooyoungtobeagrandma Tue 28-Jun-16 19:45:26

I will just add my support for the Oxford Owl Project X books. My grandson sounds very similar to your son. He really struggled with reading in Year 1 so I started him on the first level Biff and Chip books with me and now, 2 years later his reading has improved greatly. We just worked through the different levels slowly and we recently discovered the Project X books and now he insists on reading one to his mum every night. Amazon usually have a reasonable deal on the packs something like £25 for 24 books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now