Talk

Advanced search

DD can use a laptop/ notebook computer in school and in exams (dyslexia) - what does your dc use and any recommendations please?

(18 Posts)
hmcAsWas Thu 14-Apr-16 04:39:31

If you have dyslexic dc who use a laptop / notebook in school, what do they use and would your recommend? Thanks

hmcAsWas Thu 14-Apr-16 10:12:11

hmcAsWas Thu 14-Apr-16 21:27:21

bloodyteenagers Thu 14-Apr-16 21:32:49

Recommendations for the machine or software?

Bimblesalong Thu 14-Apr-16 22:22:27

My son uses a touchscreen laptop (Hp), which cuts down on tracking issues. However, when he does exams he uses a school laptop with the spellcheck option switched off as per his access arrangements.

I've recently bought him a fab reading pen, ’c pen' (suitable for exams). We've also been playing with the Claro scanpen app for iPhone. Claro do some good reader software for laptops.

Balletgirlmum Sat 16-Apr-16 13:44:32

I'm interested in this too. Ds used an iPad in lessons but will need a laptop for exams. Need reccomendations for an inexpensive reliable portable laptop.

parissont Sat 16-Apr-16 13:47:56

Dd2 is borrowing the schools for now but the hp stream is the one I was looking at.

hmcAsWas Wed 20-Apr-16 13:09:22

Thanks Bimbles and parissont

eggsandtoast Wed 20-Apr-16 20:32:15

My oldest is dyslexic and has been using a laptop at school since September.

I would recommend getting one that isn't too big / heavy to carry round and isn't too expensive. You will need to buy anti-virus software and a laptop bag - which adds a lot to the cost. We also got Microsoft office.

We went for a laptop rather than a notebook as the keyboard was bigger and in line with what he used eg in IT.

If you go into a shop that sells laptops they will be able to advise you on which model they sell most often to school age children.

Finally - we got accidental damage insurance - which we will almost certainly claim on as it is being lugged to and from school every day and is bound to be dropped / have water spilled on soon...

Letitgoletitgo Fri 13-May-16 18:21:29

I'd check in with the school - I'm a secondary teacher and when it comes to exams, students are only allowed to use the laptops etc provided by the school with relevant programs such as spell check, Internet etc disabled when needed. Best for students to practise using something similar!

AcademiaNut Sat 14-May-16 04:13:30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014D847FS/ref=cmsww_remm_awdcc_jLz1wbZ5CMG2E

LIZS Tue 17-May-16 20:48:21

School supply for exams as certain functions like spell check have to be disabled. He has iPad and keyboard for regular use.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 17-May-16 20:55:42

why do they need to disable spell check? shock my dd is y6 and dyslexic. Joping she will be able to use lap top and even havea scribe for exams. Her reading has really come on lately thanks to tutor but her spelling is pretty indecipherable at present.

notamummy10 Tue 17-May-16 20:58:32

TheOriginalLem I guess using spell check during exams is seen as cheating!

OddBoots Tue 17-May-16 21:15:36

Are you asking about for the exams or in lesson? My ds has been allowed a laptop due to physical disability with his hands and has only been allowed to use a school laptop that has the various lockdowns for exams.

The school let him use the same laptop in lessons so he was familiar with it - his sixth form offered the same but he has a long walk there and back and would need to carry it each way and the ones the college has are heavy so we got him a lightweight Lenovo one for day to day.

LIZS Tue 17-May-16 21:27:18

Spell check is deemed to give an advantage in ds' case. If she can have a scribe she may be allowed it but not if speed of processing is the primary issue. A scribe won't correct spelling though.

LIZS Tue 17-May-16 21:34:08

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/access-arrangements/spelling,-punctuation-and-grammar-marks

This is the current policy re. SpAG marks and scribe/WP. Could well change again.

itshappenedagain Tue 17-May-16 21:52:34

Hi! Before you go buying one if you dd is dyslexic and has a needs assessment done a laptop should be provided plus relevant software/ antivirus etc.
I had all this provided when at uni and my DS has it provided for school home use.
I would recommend an asus, as they're cheap and have a good memory and are lightweight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now