Talk

Advanced search

Nux Vomica for ADHD?

(13 Posts)
catbasilio Fri 01-Apr-16 08:35:22

Hi, my son is 7 (nearly 8) and displaying clear traits of ADHD. We especially struggle with being rude, talking back, inadequate verbal responses, talking out loud in inappropriate places etc. Physical side has slightly subsided over years. We are waiting for his assessment in CAHMS.

I read about Nux Vomica benefits and bought it for him out of desperation. When it gets really bad I give it to him, a tablet before sleep. I don't know if it is placebo (for me) but it seems to have a positive effect. For example, next day after taking he is reported to behave much better.

The problem is that even though it is herbal, it is very difficult to find information about it, dosage, how long to take etc. I don't want to cause any harm through ignorance.

I know it is a long shot but has anyone tried it and know more about it?

PolterGoose Fri 01-Apr-16 08:46:44

Are you giving him actual nux vomica which contains strychnine or the homeopathic no active ingredient version.

If it's the first, stop now.

If it's the latter, it's harmless.

Whycantweallgetalong Fri 01-Apr-16 08:49:17

So you've self diagnosed ADHD? And self medicating? I have a dc diagnosed with ADHD and the symptoms you're describing don't even make sense,.
'We are struggling with being rude", really? And this is ADHD?", 'inadequate verbal responses", again, this is a symptom of ADHD?, 'physical side has slightly subsided over the years', Most children with ADHD are usually diagnosed around the age of 7 when their symptoms really start to manifest, so what do you mean by the physical side has subsided when said child is only 7yrs.

You really don't know what you are talking about and instead of speculating should seek proper advise from your GP for a possible referral to CAMHS if that is what is needed and take it from there.

catbasilio Fri 01-Apr-16 08:50:29

I give the one from Holland & Barrett.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 01-Apr-16 08:52:06

The one from Holland and Barret is just homeopathic and will work as a placebo.

You could give him it every day and it would have no medical effect.

Whycantweallgetalong Fri 01-Apr-16 08:53:43

I've just seen again that you are already seeking help from CAMHS, so apologies for that, but I'll stop any further home treatment and wait for the outcome of that.

scaevola Fri 01-Apr-16 08:54:47

You say herbal version (ie not homeopathic). IIRC, it's basically a mild emetic, so no idea why it would have an effect as you describe, other than placebo effect.

But if that's helping you, then carry on. I suggest you go and check with a proper herbalist what, if any, the implications of long term use would be. Because the pharmacologically active herbs should be treated as self-prescribed, unregulated drugs, and it's better if you have proper patient information on them.

catbasilio Fri 01-Apr-16 09:05:01

Thank you for responses. By saying that he is less physical I meant that he used to bite, kick, hurt other children, less so nowadays but more challenging verbally. I think it is impulsivity side of ADHD-like behaviour that gets him. GP referred him and the school referred him to CAMHS. Due to verbal challenges, he alienates adults and children.

There are some positive stories on internet about how Nux Vomica helped to some. We only give mild strength and only after bouts of troublesome behaviour, but good to know that it is considered harmless.

Whycantweallgetalong Fri 01-Apr-16 09:15:07

OP you know you're child better than anyone on the Internet but whilst you've given some information that could point to ADHD, you've also highlighted what could be attributed to anything else e.g 'inadequate verbal responses', why do you feel this is solely down to ADHD? It's not really a common trait of the condition.

catbasilio Fri 01-Apr-16 09:28:39

This description fits my son extremely well: here

Whycantweallgetalong Fri 01-Apr-16 09:40:25

I've read your link. My point is, 'inadequate verbal responses ' is so generic/vague it could be attributed to many conditions. It's always safer to get a child diagnosed by professionals first as it may turn out he has completely different issues to what you are thinking but that's not ruling out ADHD completely! Just don't start any treatment until you know for certain what you are dealing with.

catbasilio Fri 01-Apr-16 11:26:11

Well as you say I know my child the best. I am not saying it is ADHD but it is ADHD traits for sure. It seems by these posts that Nux Vomica is not acknowledged to have an effect anyway... (maybe coincidence in our case?).

ZiggyPantaloons Fri 01-Apr-16 11:34:41

If he has trouble getting to sleep, I think using gentle herbal or aromatherapy type things can be helpful. It doesn't matter whether it is a placebo or not - if the child feels that by using them they can go to sleep more easily, that's all good.
Homeopathy has no effect on anything, other than as a placebo. It's certainly not going to do anything with ADHD. But placebos can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now