Talk

Advanced search

High functioning AS/Asperger's support

(5 Posts)
Mrsmaudwatts Sat 31-Oct-15 10:26:29

My lovely ds (8) is fairly recently diagnosed and I don't mind admitting that I'm frequently out of my depth. Given support post (and let's face it it, Pre) diagnosis is non-existent at best and down right awful at worst (watch a soap anyone?!!) I thought I'd turn to good old MN for help and support.

Feel free to join in. I can't promise anything other than support and cakebrewflowers as I'm no expert (but it seems neither are many of the experts anyway - yes CAMH, its you I'm referring to) but there are many very knowledgeable MNers who will hopefully join in.

And I might become less angry at some point blush

outputgap Sat 31-Oct-15 10:36:22

Oh, hallo. Dd, 4, is waiting for an assessment. We have seen a community paediatrician and she has been observed briefly by a SALT. The 'proper' assessment isn't for another 8 or 9 months. She's in reception, with a brilliant teacher who gets her completely, but I'm worried about the more formal approach of Year 1, and hope that we can sort something out that doesn't destroy her.

She had a beyond horrendous first nursery, which almost broke her. Ironically the leader had an autistic son, but I guess because dd has very good language skills, they assumed she was willful and naughty. I'm still traumatised myself!

StarfrightMcFangsie Tue 03-Nov-15 12:28:25

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs

Hiya,

This part of the board doesn't get much traffic so I have linked above to one that does. Perhaps post this there?

Titsywoo Tue 03-Nov-15 12:34:29

Hi,

My DS has also just been diagnosed aged 8. We were given a diagnosis of ASD (he fits the Aspergers criteria so we are reading up on that but I understand they do not diagnose Aspergers anymore?). Anyway we still haven't told him. He is perfectly happy as he is at the moment and is unaware that he is 'different'. We are reading Tony Atwood books and trying to work out what (if anything) to do next!

Cookingwine Thu 05-Nov-15 21:03:31

The Lorna Wing Centre has agreed to assess DD 10 yo today, I was really happy. I am also hoping for a place in a school highly tuned to ASD, I hope I will be given tips and useful ways to deal with her when she is difficult. The main problem at the moment is her lack of empathy, she really ruffles our feathers, but I think she doesn't realise how obnoxious she can be with her little sister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now