Talk

Advanced search

Extra time in exams?

(6 Posts)
Eastyone Thu 22-Oct-15 20:26:13

My daughter has been assessed in Yr 9 for processing problems using lots of tests including the WISC IV
Verbal comp 19th %ile comp score 87 Confidence 81-95
Perceptual reasoning 34th %ile score94 confidence 87-102
Working mem 18th %ile score 86 confidence 79-95
Process speed index 13th %ile score 83 confidence 76-94
Full scale 14th %ile score 84 confidence 80-89

This the Ed Psych and SENCo said at the time would give her extra time in exams. Zip forward to her now in Yr 11 and we have asked the school to clarify if this is still the case - I know the JCQ have tightened things up but she is still on the SEN register and does (she says ) sometimes get extra time. The SENCo has said they will do another test WRAT4? We said OK but on looking at this it measures different things and isn't acceptable to the JCQ? Can we ask them to repeat the WISC 1V? Thanks for reading

LIZS Thu 22-Oct-15 20:34:04

I think it is borderline . Iirc the cut off is 84. You can ask to reassess but as long as the assessment was less than 3 years ago it shouldn't be necessary. The need should also be substantiated by her teachers as JCQ won't want her at be at an advantage. Has she been having extra time in practice papers, if so she should have been asked to change colour ink or otherwise mark what she did in the additional time ?

TeenAndTween Thu 22-Oct-15 22:04:31

No idea on details, but DD got extra time for GCSE that was applied for only in Feb of y11 after mocks (had recently had diagnosis of dyspraxia), and thus never had extra time in any exams before the actual GCSEs.

Eastyone Fri 23-Oct-15 10:23:46

Yes extra time is written in red pen. Thanks LIZS it is so difficult as a parent to know what to ask when the school is so unhelpful. Should we have something in writing from the school? Does the WRAT 4 measure processing skills?
The JCQ info is "These difficulties will be demonstrated by tests which result in a below average standardised score, i.e. a score of 84 or less.In exceptional circumstances at least two low average standardised scores(85-89) are acceptable" so I guess she qualifies - so cross as it shouldn't be parents have to make sure this is in place

LIZS Fri 23-Oct-15 15:44:41

The school examinations officer has to submit the application on your dd's behalf. We're still feeling our way , post 16 assessment for uni now.

Eastyone Sat 24-Oct-15 09:39:13

Thanks LIZS so much just stuck with this question now - anyone
Does the WRAT 4 measure processing skills?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now