Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Could do with some help and advice re Primary Motor Steriotypies

(7 Posts)
processingincorectly Wed 29-Jul-15 20:57:45

I'm not sure where to start with this as when I have asked for help and advice in the past I have ended up with a lot of suggestions that I should get DS assessed for special needs when actually all I am looking for is some coping strategies for some of his behavioural idiosyncrasies.

I have name changed as I don't really want my previous threads analysed and dragged into this.

DS is an unusual little boy. He is 5yo and he has always been very quirky - he is very academically able (I have not had him assessed as the school he is in are challenging him adequately but I would guess that he is 2-3 years ahead in reading and in sums) he is very outgoing and confident and great at sports. He is emotionally sensitive and responsive to his peers and to adults (maybe a little immature for his age). I give you this information because I would like to avoid suggestions that he is on the Autistic spectrum - I really don't think he is.

But I do think he has quite a few sensory processing issues - he was a late talker and his speech is still a little odd (Its more that he can't put the words in the right order). He still tends to put everything in his mouth, and he never stops moving. We are perusing SALT for this.

Recently his arm flapping, waving and finger clicking has got a lot worse but it has always been there. And it is this aspect of his behaviour that is causing me some concern because I don't know how to deal with it. The problem is that I realise that he is very young and I don't want to give him a complex about his movements and I try very hard not to nag him but some aspects of his movements are actually detrimental to himself and sometimes those around him. He has been known to start thumping himself on the head for example, especially when he is concentrating, and at meal times he flaps his fork. He seems to be completely unaware of these movements or unable to control them. I have spoken to the school about it and they have noticed that at circle time and in assembly he can be quite disruptive because of his movements - he doesn't mean it he cannot seem to control his wild arm movements.

His concentration is fine for his age especially when it interests him, however if given free rain he will listen to a story while hopping around the room but he will be taking the whole story in.

I am reading a book about The out of Sync Child and I am trying to gently calm things down. I often just hold his arm so he can't flap it. Its not a case of caring what others think of him, I'm not that bothered, I just don't want him to hurt himself or others.

I would love to hear if you have experience with this any tips or tricks you have to help a young child without giving him a lifetime complex.

pinkje Wed 29-Jul-15 21:10:11

A friend's son was a bit like this. He used to be given some blu-tac to fiddle with. That seemed to help.

steppemum Wed 29-Jul-15 21:16:46

There are a couple of great products on the market to help kids who need to move.

One is a fiddle cushion that they sit on, it wobbles a little and their core muscles have to move a little to keep it still, which then enables them to sit still.

Another is a fiddle ball, which, like the bluetack pinkje mentioned, gives them something to fiddle with.

processingincorectly Thu 30-Jul-15 07:13:22

Blue tack or similar is something I used to play with a lot as a child, I'll try it with him.
With the air filled seat, do you mean like a small Swiss ball or a flat cushion that you put on the floor or seat? We have a larger Swiss ball and it is a loved toy especially for practicing superman poses grin great for core and ballance

mrsb83 Fri 31-Jul-15 06:51:18

I have come across a number of children like this over my 11years working in education. Fiddle toys and 'stress ball' type toys are fantastic. I wonder does he sit better on a chair than on the floor? I noticed you mention school have commented on his movements in assembly and circle time. Could he sit on a chair at the end of his class line?
Another strategy that has worked with some of my old pupils is allowing them to have 'fizzy time'. So we do our activity then they have a few minutes to bounce around using a timer. Doesn't work with all but may work for your son.

lutra3d Fri 31-Jul-15 06:59:05

I know you don't want him assessed but if he saw a sensory OT they would be able to suggest bespoke strategies without actually labelling him.

processingincorectly Fri 31-Jul-15 20:59:17

I imagine that the school have had him on the floor during circle time and assembly so perhaps worth trying him on a chair at the end of the line. He has an NQT next term I hope she will be open to suggestions but I doubt she has met many children like DS yet.
I wouldn't know where to begin with seeking out a sensory OT we are in deepest dark Cornwall any ideas?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now