Talk

Advanced search

Camhs referral dd refusing to go

(10 Posts)
Emochild Sat 25-Jul-15 09:36:22

Dd is 13

She thinks there is nothing wrong with her and camhs is 'for stupid emo kids that cut themselves'

She's refused school for 2 months
Only eats rice, pasta and toast -all plain
Doesn't wash or take care of herself in any way shape or form
Refuses to leave the house
Lays in bed all day then prowls round the house at night

We need help!

If she is still refusing on Monday, do I go by myself?

Emochild Sat 25-Jul-15 16:25:58

Bump

Sirzy Sat 25-Jul-15 16:30:14

I am no expert (DS is only 5) but didn't want it to go unread.

Yes I would go alone, in a way it may actually be better for the initial appointment to be without her as you can talk about your concerns without worrying about her taking offence/being upset.

Good luck and I hope someone with better advice comes along soon.

DustyMaiden Sat 25-Jul-15 16:34:00

My DS is seeing a lovely therapist from CAHMS for anxiety. She said they will do home visits., try that. Go by yourself if you have no other option I think it will be useful, they may have tips on getting her to engage.

Emochild Sat 25-Jul-15 16:36:52

Thanks

I actually think I'd prefer to go without her initially as she will just minimise and deflect everything

Didn't want them to think it was strange and refuse to see me if she wasn't there -my gp certainly wasn't impressed when I showed up without her

JennyOnTheBlocks Sat 25-Jul-15 16:37:19

yes, i would go by myself, but take as much information about her school anxiety as possible (letters etc if available)

has she engaged with GP at all? will she/he back you up?

fuctifino Sat 25-Jul-15 16:39:37

I was told going alone wasn't an option, we went for an initial assessment.
Maybe give them a ring prior to going and see what they say.

Sirzy Sat 25-Jul-15 16:42:15

You would hope that camhs would be used to dealing with children who don't want to engage so they should be able to find a way around it.

Emochild Sat 25-Jul-15 16:54:39

She won't engage with anything or anyone -part of the problem

School have had various members of staff out to see her 3 times, she wouldn't come out of her room and they wouldn't go in

Gp has seen her be monosyllabic and did the referral but mainly based on the school refusal and my concerns over anxiety

JennyOnTheBlocks Sat 25-Jul-15 17:00:23

oh Emo thanks

I would go to the appt, with or without her.

Tell her you need her to get better, and you are trying to find the best way to do it. Let her know this might not be the best way wink, but you have been offered help and it would be rude not to take it up.

I wouldn't push any consequences or anything on her, if she sees you are going without her, maybe curiousity will take over?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now