Talk

Advanced search

Sister with depression- should I step in?

(2 Posts)
Imsosorryalan Fri 24-Jul-15 13:58:41

My younger sis is 25 and has recently moved back in with my dad. She has no job, no money and no where to live due to one thing or another. She is currently looking for work in my dad's home town but isn't getting anywhere. She also has lots of debt and has to pay this off soon. She has slowly been getting stressed and isn't currently on any depression medication (but has been in the past)

My dad is very placid and gentle and thought he was helping her by taking her in but it's all turning sour. He is very stressed and I'm the only one he can talk to. He's taken to calling me when she isn't in so he can be truthful about her. She is basically treating the flat like a dumping ground and is getting upset over small incidents like losing her bus ticket etc. when she does she shouts and swears at my dad, coming right into his face with a 'crazed look' in her eyes, and generally throws her weight around. She's damaged the wall of dads rented house in anger and cries for no reason. She erupts over the slightest mention to tidy up/help make dinner etc. and he doesn't know how to handle it. He's worried to leave her alone.

When I speak to her on the phone, she makes out all is fine and she's having a nice time so she obviously doesn't want me to know what's happening. I'm worried for my dad as he isn't sleeping and he works nights. He gives her pocket money and pays for all expenses but she seems to think he isn't doing enough to help her out. I've offered to put her up for a while and she is thinking about it but I'm not sure it's the right thing to do. I've told dad, she needs to see the gp and he will try to persuade her but I'm wondering if I should have a word with her about her behaviour or if I should stay out of it and watch my dad get treated like crap. If she knows he has told me, she will probably hit the roof! Any ideas! I'm not sure how to deal with her depression!

sal71 Fri 24-Jul-15 19:25:50

hi it sounds like you are all in need of support. is it possible you could find another way in to talk about it? I think the GP is a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now