Talk

Advanced search

Thumb sucking substitutes? In line with chewing items - SEN

(7 Posts)
Italiangreyhound Sun 05-Jul-15 16:43:36

Thumb sucking substitutes? In line with chewing items - SEN

Hi all, I am not sure if this is the right place at all but I would like to ask...

Can anyone recommend a thumb sucking substitute, e.g. like this
for my dd.

This one looks the most like a regular necklace and comes in a choice of colours and is the cheapest, so i would go for this if had no other info to go on!

cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/chewit-elephant-bling-16694-p.asp

But there are other options...

This one is rather 'funky'....

cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/chewigem-pumpkin-4174-p.asp

This looks OK....

cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/ark-brick-stick-chew-27967-p.asp

Even this cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/ark-grabber-9802-p.asp if we could add to a leather strip or chain around her neck.

If a necklace is not allowed this bangle may also work. cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/chewy-bangle-7314-p.asp

Or this one, which may fit better as it has a gap in it cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/chewy-tactile-tiger-bracelet-19306-p.asp

DD doesn't chew she sucks but I wonder if this may work?

My fear is this will become a dependency itself but may be better, in the long run, than being a thumb sucker.

I am looking for something that can give her the comfort she needs but will not push her teeth out and will not make her stand out as a thumb sucker at secondary school.

She is 10, very dyslexic, about two to three years behind the rest of the class (or the majority of it) but very bright and vibrant. For the last five years we have had difficult behaviour at home and lack of concentration at school. We have sought help and got little. But in the last year we have had more help, and now have a cmhs referral.

DD has certain sensory issues, doesn't like the feel of socks, jeans, tight clothes etc, and also doesn't like loud noises. I feel the thumb sucking, which started when she was less than 12 days old, is a way she calms herself and every single attempt to stop it has failed. It has pushed her teeth out and given her bad breath at times!

Any advice at all, please?

I expect I will need to get special 'permission' from school for my dd to 'wear' this/use this.

I am posting in a few places hence differentiating in my subject line.

Italiangreyhound Sun 05-Jul-15 16:43:52

Thank you grin

Italiangreyhound Fri 10-Jul-15 22:38:23

Just in case anyone is remotely interested... we ended up getting this www.cheapdisabilityaids.co.uk/chewigem-pumpkin-4174-p.asp and so far it seems to be making a small amount of difference. DD says she likes it and it does remind her not to suck as well as giving her something to put by her mouth if she feels the need.

Duckdeamon Fri 10-Jul-15 22:40:52

You sound really thoughtful, hope this is a good alternative for your DD!

StripyStrawberry Fri 10-Jul-15 22:44:10

I'm sorry, no useful comments, but interested in this for one of mine, too, so bumping!

Italiangreyhound Sat 11-Jul-15 00:16:16

Duckdeamon me too, it is a problem when they get to 10, she can't wear a brace until she stops!

Stripy I also posted in primary and secondary education. Take a look as some very useful comments from others.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/2418474-Thumb-sucking-substitutes-In-line-with-chewing-items-Scondary-education?msgid=55473443#55473443

and

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2418473-Thumb-sucking-substitutes-In-line-with-chewing-items-Primary-education

StripyStrawberry Sat 11-Jul-15 10:07:14

Thanks Italiangreyhound!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now