Talk

Advanced search

Speech and language cognitive?

(4 Posts)
Tubbytimmy Thu 22-Jan-15 16:10:35

dd has add, learning difficulties and some other bits and bobs. Seen by various outside agencies. School has now requested a speech and language assessment regarding dds cognitive abilities.

I haven't personally felt any reason to worry about dd speech wise or have I misunderstood what exactly speech and language do?

BigBird69 Mon 26-Jan-15 07:53:52

In our case our son has some expressive language concerns, immature language, muddled grammar (particularly tenses) but an even greater receptive language issue caused by processing problems. I am guessing that perhaps school think it's processing with your child? How is his literacy in general?

GratefulHead Mon 26-Jan-15 08:00:47

My son has an excellent vocabulary but it masks many deficits in his receptive language skills. He often misses key points of instructions or conversations but because he is deemed above average for vocabulary the NHS deems him not in need of SLT.

Definitely have the assessment as its interesting to see what comes up at times. I had no idea how poor DS's receptive language skills were until the assessment, DS is autistic with ADHD and dyspraxia.

dolfrog Sat 07-Feb-15 01:44:18

Hi Tubbytimmy

you may find the CiteuLike "Speech and Langauge Pathology" research paper sharing library of some interest as it covers many aspects of these types of problems.
www.citeulike.org/group/15776/library/order/year,,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: