Talk

Advanced search

What to expect from dyslexia screening in school?

(3 Posts)
PriscillaQueenofDesserts Fri 21-Nov-14 19:16:28

DS1(8) has been put forward by his class teacher and senco to be screened for dyslexia in school, so this is going to go ahead soon.

I'm not entirely sure what this is going to entail, are there any questions I should be asking?

peacoat Sun 14-Dec-14 17:45:48

I do this test. It is not a diagnosis but will indicate whether or not your DS is at risk of having dyslexia and will give a profile. I use it to see where weaknesses might be (e.g. phonics, or working memory).

If a child I have tested scores poorly on the phonics, I implement an intervention for 6 weeks to try and deal with this aspect. Bear in mind that your DS could appear 'at risk' if he struggles with literacy, and it will not necessarily be 'dyslexia' as a condition as such. Although the definition normally used by our Ed Psychs is general difficulties with literacy, despite having the same opportunities for learning as other students (i.e. have been to school since Reception and is still struggling).

I would ask if you could meet afterwards to discuss the results and what further tests could be done to clarify where the issues actually stem from and what could be done about it.

PriscillaQueenofDesserts Mon 22-Dec-14 09:36:44

Thanks for your reply peacoat - this thread had fallen down my list so only just seen it. That's really helpful and a brilliantly phrased question to ask! I have been struggling to find words that don't come across as though I don't think they're doing enough.

School hasn't done the screening yet so I'm very glad I spotted your reply flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now