Advanced search

Need someone to talk ieps, school action plus etc

(9 Posts)
Zazzabeans Thu 20-Nov-14 17:43:08

Quick lowdown,

DS is 12 and has moderate cerbral palsy and mild??learning difficulties and speech and language issues.
He started mainstream sec school in sep and he is getting 5 hours a week support, this is stopping in jan due to him not having a EHCP , the school say there is not enough evidence to apply for EHCP, the ed psch won't get involved as she assessed him 6 year ago hmm a lot has changed.
The senco is just a stand in as the normal one is on ,maternity leave untill next May.
I spoke to senco today and she told me there is not enough evidence, I then went on to ask about iep and school action plus, which she said they don't do, I am confused a DS has always had these from being in nursery, I then went on to ask what happens come jan, will he be left to his own device and was told probably as he isn't statemented.
His recent results for core subjects are 3c.
All she told me today was that he is in the normal range for his class and the provisions made for him are he is in a smaller class of 8-10 kids.
I have been in contact with parenting partnership who are going to arrange a meeting, they also told me that the school could apply for upto £6000 for DS education, however the senco had not heard of this.
I just don't know where to turn, do I wait until proper senco comes back , what if I do and nothing is done.
Do I carry on against all of the proffesionals who are putting everything down to his salt issues, do I pay £95 an hour for private ed psch assessment, have been told the local council may not take a private report as sufficent evidence.
Please advise me, feel like I am letting my son down sad

Tambaboy Thu 20-Nov-14 19:20:44

Hi, this board is very quiet. Repost in Special Needs :Children, there are many posters with plenty of experience.

In the meantime check the following independent Advisers: IPSEA and SOS!SEN, very informative websites and helplines. You can even book a call back with IPSEA if you can't get through the helpline, they are very busy.

You can apply for the EHC plan yourself, there are model letters on both websites.

I didn't find Parent Partnership (or whatever they are called nowadays) helpful at all and I very much doubt they are totally independent, they get paid by the LA after all.

Tambaboy Thu 20-Nov-14 19:25:31

Familiarise yourself with this very important document . In the new code of practice IEP and School Action don't exist anymore.

Tambaboy Thu 20-Nov-14 19:25:47

Tambaboy Thu 20-Nov-14 19:27:51

Sorry, I'll try the link one more time, I hope it works

Zazzabeans Thu 20-Nov-14 19:42:42

Thanks, will have a look, I have posted in other board just now, thanks smile

Zazzabeans Thu 20-Nov-14 19:43:33

Also don't want to apply without any backup , what's the point sad

SJIEC2014 Thu 25-Dec-14 16:17:12

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BackforGood Thu 25-Dec-14 16:39:01

The £6K figure, in my understanding, is the amount already allocated to the school, so, unless his needs cost more than that to meet, then the school wouldn't gain anything from him having an EHCPlan.

However, if he's already being taught in classes of 8 - 10, it does sound as if he is already benefiting from a considerable amount of additional support. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean he shouldn't get an EHCPlan, but to be fair, you can't claim he's not getting anything if tht is the adult / pupil ratio.

However, that doesn't negate the need for IEPs, or whatever document the school is choosing to replace them with - it no longer needs to be called an IEP, but it still needs to document how they are meeting his needs.... some kind of personalised plan, whatever name it goes under.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: