Talk

Advanced search

How do secondary schools communicate with parents re SEN?

(5 Posts)
Corestrategy Mon 27-Oct-14 11:01:32

I have a dyslexic child in Year 7. He is getting support at school but I only know because he tells me. The school has not ever been in touch with me about it. I realise that he has only been there for half a term but I would have expected the school to be communicating with parents about this. I want dialogue with them so that I can be informed about supporting him at home.
The school is very rough and I suspect it just doesn't think it is worthwhile liaising with the parents of low attainers.
I'm going to ask to speak to the head teacher at her surgery in December and I wonder if anyone has any positive (or negative) experiences to give me some ideas about what to suggest to her.
TIA

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 27-Oct-14 11:10:45

Being in a similar situation for 5 plus years, I can tell you they don't communicate at all unless you Email them and make appointments for parents evenings.

DD1 drops in and out of going for help at her choosing and I'm always the last to know.

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 27-Oct-14 11:13:23

Actually if she was a LA rather than second sets and passed all he GCSEs we might have got more info, but only because school has Ofsted on it's back for LA's progress.

Corestrategy Mon 27-Oct-14 11:33:42

All my children have dyslexia. Luckily my eldest copes well and is second and top sets - the school is not interested in his dyslexia but after I asked them they said he could have extra time in exams and a laptop to write essays on if required.

However, my middle child is seriously under achieving - I'm really worried about him and I am amazed about the lack of communication. I even spoke to the SENCO about him before he started so she knows I am interested!

TuitionGenius Mon 03-Nov-14 13:04:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now