Advanced search

Expat with special needs child returning

(6 Posts)
SusuSamboosa Sat 25-Oct-14 07:31:31

Him, I need some advice and suggestions for where I can find answers.
I currently live in the USA with a special needs child and I moving back in the summer. I have two main issues- how can I secure
A place at a local primary school for my child and how can I get him assessed or statemented For his special needs?
From what I've read you need to be in the UK to register
With the LEA - he's my first child so I have no idea where
To start.

fairgame Sat 25-Oct-14 21:51:30

You need to have a UK address to apply for a school place.
Statements of special needs no longer exist and have been replaced with Education and Health Care Plans (EHCP). The thresholds for support have been raised as well. School are now supposed to fund the first 6k of support themselves and children who need more funding than this can be assessed for an ECHP.
You can apply for the ECHP assessment yourself.

Have a look at these websites for some helpful info

And this factsheet explains the funding thresholds

There are loads of helpful and experienced posters on the Special needs:children board, it tends to be a bit busier than this one.
Good luck smile

fairgame Sun 26-Oct-14 08:32:23

Sorry I should clarify that statements do exist for those that already have them but new applications are for EHCPs instead. Those with statements will move onto the new plans within the next 3 years.
The websites might make more sense now blush

lljkk Sun 26-Oct-14 08:45:50

You might want to research your child's SN, what kind of provision to expect for that diagnosis. I assume you mean England, odds are it's different procedure/service provision in other parts of UK.

RiversideMum Sun 07-Dec-14 13:45:14

What needs does your child have and how is he supported in his current school?

Icimoi Tue 09-Dec-14 14:26:53

Thresholds for support haven't changed - they are basically the same as under the old law.

If you know where you are going to be living, it would make sense to start the ball rolling by contacting the local authority Education Department before you come.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: