Talk

Advanced search

DS with ASD - I'm struggling today

(5 Posts)
YesAnastasia Thu 09-Oct-14 12:43:29

DS is having a rough week. Lots of things have happened & he's been over stimulated which affects his behaviour, his concentration, his sleep and his speech.

We'll get through it and I know this happens but for some reason today I'm not dealing with it very well. I have been crying almost all morning because of something that happened with him at school and even the inspirational Temple Grandin can't pull me out of this today.

It might have just hit me. I'm so very sad that he finds things difficult & his life is such a struggle. I feel like I'm failing him because I don't know the best way to educate him in social areas & confidence.

I feel like going to get him from school & bringing him home with me so he's safe & he can reset himself, soothe himself & feel calm. If it's been as bad today as the rest of the week I will keep him home tomorrow.

Anyway, I feel really deflated & sad. I'm usually so positive & proactive but I feel negative and anxious about him.

YesAnastasia Mon 13-Oct-14 10:04:03

Nevermind I feel better now...

JennyOnTheBlocks Mon 13-Oct-14 10:07:34

I've only just seen this because it popped into 'Active convos'

you might find more traffic on this section instead

there are lots of us with children on the Autistic spectrum there, I can totally relate to your feelings.

I feel like rescuing DD almost every day

Hurr1cane Mon 13-Oct-14 10:15:14

I feel the same today. I don't like sending him to school

Janey64 Fri 07-Nov-14 22:31:01

Hi Ladies, sorry to hear you are having a bad time. My son really struggled at school when he was 12. He was anxious and bullied the whole time and school was really not good. We ended up getting diagnosed with Asperger's. The Paed advised I should buy Asperger's the Complete Guide by Tony Attwood, and also have a look at his website as it contained lots of info. I did, and I noticed he did speaking events around the world and I went to a conference in Winchester. It was a fantastic day. I learnt lots - most importantly that my son's behaviour was perfectly normal for someone with Asperger's. Tony Attwood was very positive about the good qualities they have and also about strategies to support them.
I don't know where you live by Tony Attwood is coming to Reading on Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 January and will be speaking on friendships, cognitive differences, teenage issues and CBT for teenagers as they can become very anxious. see Berkshire Autistic Society website www.autismberkshire.org.uk/professor-tony-attwood-conference-2015.aspx.
My son is now happy at school, and doing well academically. Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now