Advanced search

New school for SEN child how can I ensure promises are delivered

(3 Posts)
mummytwobears Fri 11-Jul-14 18:17:32

Hello, after much thought I've decided to move my daughter from large mainstream primary to much smaller one. My daughter will start with new school in September in yr 2. So far new school have been fab, my daughter has been attending getting to know you days and they seem happy to support her SEN.
She is deaf, has mild sight problems and mild mobility issues. She is very bright but has been badly let down by her 'outstanding ' primary where she has slipped from top set to third set in the two yrs she's been there, her speech has also declined by 15 months since she started school.

We were promised all kinds of support by current school but they just couldn't deliver. Got to the point where they weren't even helping her change her hearing aid batteries or using her equipment so she'd come home upset and exhausted each day having relied on lip reading all day sad

New school seem much more inclusive, but how can I ensure they deliver on what they've promised? Current school set up a EHC plan but it's never been completed and doesn't detail how the school will support her or what will happen if she stops meeting targets.

I am tired of hearing "she does well for a deaf child" I want her to do well for any child as she has no cognitive or behavioural issues and is naturally a bright and eager to learn child but she hasn't had the support to reach her potential so far.

Any ideas?

Icimoi Sat 12-Jul-14 15:11:43

Technically you can't have EHC Plans in law yet, they don't come into force till September. I assume your council may be a Pathfinder authority, i.e. one of the councils that has been trialling the proposals. When they went for an EHC Plan, they should have offered you the option of going for a statement so that you would have had the right to insist on it being completed and could appeal against it if it was inadequate.

I suggest you contact the council now and ask for the EHC Plan to be completed as a statement. Push for it to be specific and detailed and, if it isn't, appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal. Once you have a finalised statement or EHC Plan, you can enforce your daugher's entitlement to the support set out in it.

I also suggest you contact SOS SEN or IPSEA for more advice, and also go to the Special Needs Children board further down the MN page - it gets much more traffic.

SJIEC2014 Thu 25-Dec-14 18:08:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: