Advanced search

getting a statement

(9 Posts)
emmasam Tue 03-Jun-14 16:45:15

Hi Im new to this site and new to the subject of special needs, I have recently taken my son to see a specialist regarding his behaviour, education etc... she has asked me to get him statemented but im totally lost, ive just been into the school to tell them this and they said this can take years. I would be so grateful for any advice.

many thanks

LairyPoppins Tue 03-Jun-14 16:50:32

You need to meet the SENCO at the school.
How old is DS? Who was the specialist? Did they write a report?
Why did you go to the specialist in the first place? Do school have concerns?

Misspilly88 Tue 03-Jun-14 17:11:42

Ok, as Lairy says, arrange to see the senco at your school. In my area, and I believe countrywide, children will soon no longer be issued with statements, but they will replace this with something similar with changes to how funding is allocated. That happens in September. Your child doesn't necessarily need to have a statement to access extra funding and support because the school will have an allocated budget to draw from to support all children who need extra help.

I have worked closely with families with children who have sen, and my one piece of advice is to find someone who knows what they are talking about (hopefully school senco) and listen to them and them only. I've seen so many families tie themselves in knots by speaking to other people who want to give them well meaning advice which always contradicts what others say, and it's just so confusing!

emmasam Tue 03-Jun-14 18:34:44

Thank you to both of you. the school raised concerns when he was in reception, he then saw the ep who said nothing was wrong. he is now nearly 8 and he is no further academically than he was in reception. the school have also been suggesting that I take him home at lunch times because he has poor social skills. we have issues at home and have had for the past 6 years, he has a sibling with cancer so its been difficult.

PolterGoose Wed 04-Jun-14 17:23:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenofLouisiana Wed 04-Jun-14 22:28:15

You can also request a statement yourself- look at you LA's education website you may find the form on there (certainly the case for my LA). The statutory assessment process should only take a few months- gathering he evidence takes longer. You need IEPs and reviews from the last year or so as well as reports from specialists and data to prove what you are saying.

The whole system is changing ready for September, when the process should become more child centred and your views should be central to that process.

BigBird69 Thu 05-Jun-14 08:57:50

Hi, there will be a "parent partnership" which serves your local authority. Give them a call and they can talk you through the process. You will need lots of evidence from the whole of your child's life! it can take "years" if you are refused and you have to fight it, but if goes smoothly should take about six months. Try and get as much info together and then apply yourself, then you have control. Research, research, research. Knowledge is power! It will take over your life and I'm not going to lie, it's stressful but it will be worth it x

Riv Thu 05-Jun-14 21:48:59

It's worth checking out the IPSEA web site ( there's loads of advice on there about getting a statement, legalities and support.

SJIEC2014 Thu 25-Dec-14 18:13:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: