Advanced search

School applying for statement

(7 Posts)
StrawberryDaiquiriPlease Fri 30-May-14 11:06:04


My DS has just completed his Yr2 SATs, he has a diagnosis from CAMHS and his school are applying for a statement very soon.

However I am desperate to change his school (which means me finding a different job too) as the childcare situation is a nightmare, the childminders keep quitting and I want to move him to a school which has childcare until 6pm.

I am literally sick of calling all the childminders on the list, begging one to take us on, and how much DS hates it all, and then the inevitable childminder quitting. I can't really understand why DS doesn't get on with the childminders, the one he did get on with was happy to travel with him on the bus, would let him play a game on her phone or draw and they got on really well - unfortunately she's moved away. sad

Does anyone know how long the statement will take? Does it transfer to other London boroughs or other counties? Do I have to wait for the school to complete this process before moving DS's school? Do the school simply send off a form, or will people need to observe DS at school and do more follow up work?

PolterGoose Sat 31-May-14 19:40:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenofLouisiana Mon 02-Jun-14 16:48:02

The process of statutory assessment is fairly complex, it takes a few months from start to finish but there is never a guarantee that your child will get a statement (or Education and Health Care Plan as they re becoming.

The school will apply for a statement, they will back it up with lots of evidence- IEPs, medical letters, psychologists reports, evidence of attainment, behaviour support plans or whatever is appropriate to the child's needs. This makes quite a package which is sent off to the Local Authority.

The LA has panel meetings (once a month or so here) where a group of people look at the evidence and discuss the needs. If they agree the child may need extra support they will ask for more information from school, parents, other professionals involved with he child. Then the advice is reviewed.

If they still agree, a statement will start to be drawn up taking the advice gathered from the evidence in front of them. They may recommend another placement or support to be in place.

From the panel agreement to putting in place I think they aim for 12 weeks. I hope that makes one sense. It is a long process and one that is not undertaken lightly. I don't know what appens if you move, the school may need to start the evidence files gain, but could mainly draw on the evidence from other settings.

StrawberryDaiquiriPlease Wed 04-Jun-14 21:23:01

Yes, I think that makes sense, do you know can you carry the statement with you or does a new school have to ask the local authority for funding again?

headlesslambrini Wed 04-Jun-14 21:35:35

The statement stays with the child until they either complete education or make good progress which means that it is not needed any more. This doesnt happen often IME. With the new SEN reforms, the statement will eventually change over to the EHC plan in the next couple of yrs. Dont let this stop you from starting the process now.

QueenofLouisiana Wed 04-Jun-14 22:22:22

I think you'd need to apply for funding again, but you do that every term anyway. Where children move from doesn't matter, just that they are now in your school.
Round about now all future statutory assessment will result in an EHC plan as they won't go through until September. I'm not sure on the exact date, but it's soon.

Icimoi Fri 20-Jun-14 09:09:55

No, if you have a statement, you don't need to keep reapplying for funding. It stays in place as long as the statement exists.

Statutory assessments being carried out now won't necessarily result in EHC Plans: there are some transition regulations which set it all out at

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now