Talk

Advanced search

More House School Farnham

(16 Posts)
Expatmomma Thu 06-Mar-14 19:23:55

Was hoping to get some feel for the school (prior to first visit) from current parents.

Any thoughts / comments welcome.

Expatmomma Thu 03-Apr-14 06:04:56

Update: visited the school and was blown away with what they can offer my son. Returning for a taster after Easter and hoping he is offered a place.

Ninatam65 Thu 01-May-14 16:02:42

My son has been at More House since Year 5 (he's now in Year 10) and we have always happy with what they're doing for him. He was told in year 4 in a mainstream school that he would never get any exams but he's on course to take 7 GCSEs/BTECs. Can't recommend it more highly.

NCISaddict Thu 01-May-14 16:05:29

My DS will be leaving More House this year, he has been there since he was 11 (is nearly 18 now) and I can't recommend it enough. It has been brilliant for him and he has been very happy there. Am a tiny bit scared at the prospect of doing without their help and support.

Expatmomma Mon 19-May-14 03:41:33

Sorry only retuning here now. Thanks so much for the positive feedback.

DS competed his taster and We were offered a place and have very gladly accepted it!!

He will board from September and be in year 6 so a big change for us all but a positive one.

Knowing he is leaving his current school in a few weeks has already helped him and lifted his spirits.

Now just need to buy the uniform and begin sewing on countless name tags.

Can't wait to see the progress he will make there.

NCISaddict Mon 19-May-14 09:50:12

Fantastic news, I'm sure he will be very happy there. It is a wonderful place with a calming effect and any problems that happen, and they do, are sorted quickly.

Their sports day is one to attend, bbq and punch for the parents, a very civilised afternoon.smile

Expatmomma Tue 20-May-14 05:45:43

So reassuring to hear such positive feedback from current parents.

I wish you son all the best for the next stage in his life
NCIS.

Who knows Nina our paths may cross later in the year.

Puffdragon123 Tue 10-Jan-17 23:12:02

How did your son settle at More House Expatmoma?

Njos Thu 19-Jan-17 11:59:12

Hi,

How good is the provision for Dyspraxia and sensory processing needs any idea?

Tx
NJos

Duckanddrake Mon 23-Jan-17 08:53:09

Hope you don't mind me jumping in? I'd really like to know some inside info on this school - my DS is very profoundly dyslexic and has an EHCP. (He's y8) no independent reading/writing skills but cognitively able. Is it worth me viewing?

mactavish Mon 27-Feb-17 22:36:32

We are also going to join More House school later this year and we are so happy about it. I've researched the school in a number of areas and received overwhelmingly positive feedback. The admissions process was a good example of their expertise and conscientiousness for us.

I would phone them and discuss your son, the first thing they will do is ask for all the reports you may have on him (from school, ed psych, medical, speech and language, OT, etc.) and read those to assess whether he might be suitable before taking things further.

Expatmomma Tue 07-Mar-17 20:40:09

Had forgotten about this thread so not checked for a very long time.

DS is extremely happy and thriving.

The pastoral care and support is outstanding.

He has changed beyond recognition since joining the school. He is finally meeting his full potential after very difficult years at his previous school.

liAa8O9z30pijgg Thu 23-Mar-17 13:23:46

I have looked around Moor house and though it seemed everything we have been hoping for. Our DS has language processing difficulties, high functioning ASD, dyspraxia, moderate learning difficulties and Tourettes, luckily only body movements and grunting.
He has sensory issues. He can only learn in small groups that are calm. I've sent paperwork to the school and are really hoping they feel they could support him. Wondering how long it will take them to let us know. We are in Sussex. But will move for the right school. Waiting to hear if Sussex panel will allow a special school for him. We want him to have a peer group that all have some learning difficulties. He's 8 and is really feeling isolated from his peer group in his mainstream school. Any advice from anyone would be great. Thanks

ForPetesSakeNotAgain Fri 24-Mar-17 16:17:51

I love MHS. My son is in Year 9 (he joined in Year 7) and it has been wonderful for him. His confidence has grown and somehow they have worked magic on him so that he is willing to write (he previously would submit a couple of sentences and then give up).

My only concern is that you say your son can only work in small groups that are calm. My son says that his classes are sometimes rather noisy as a number of the boys have ADHD and tend call out in class or when they are supposed to be working. I asked him how he coped with the distraction and he said it was fine - he finds it easier to concentrate in a room with noise than in a quiet one (I find that hard to imagine). A friend told me that the younger age groups are particularly lively!

That aside, my son looked like he grew 3" in his first week at MHS. I loved watching my newly confident lad walk across the car park - he looked so different from when he was at his previous school.

liAa8O9z30pijgg Fri 24-Mar-17 20:14:56

Thanks for your reply. We loved the school, I'm Dyslexic and what I would have given to go to a school like that.
Our DS now has 29 in his class and struggles with that level of noise & distraction. He spend a few mornings in a class of only 5.
How many do they have in a class at More house?. We were concerned when the head said that "we take intelligent boys at More house" at the open day. I know we all like to think our boys are, but our DS isn't at all academically intelligent as yet. He is very focused on his computer but not a lot else yet!. He's always asking questions but his authority processing causes him difficulties. What type of boys fit the profile?. Has your DS got friends with different learning challenges?.
Love to hear more. Thanks

liAa8O9z30pijgg Fri 24-Mar-17 21:01:42

Just realized I am talking about More house school and not Moor house. Its very confusing. Which is your ds at?.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now