Talk

Advanced search

Good prep independent school for child with special needs in harpenden/St Albans or surrounding areas

(4 Posts)
Laurenson88 Sun 16-Feb-14 09:29:14

I need a bit of advice my Son is 3, he hasn't yet been diagnosed with anything as such. He has severe speech delay, a few communication delays and shows autistic traits. He is having speech therapy and showing small changes an progress which is good. However my instinct is that a few years down the line he will get diagnosed and will definitely have special needs. Ideally wanted him to go to an independent school, however do not want a school that has a lot of assessments and that all the children tend to be very clever I don't want him to get left behind or look as if he is being naughty just be maybe his concentration levels aren't as good etc!! Does anyone's child have special needs or anything that goes to a in Independent school and their needs are well catered and cared for! TIA

lionheart Sun 16-Feb-14 23:43:54

Laurenson, you may get more responses if you repost in Special Needs Chat. This topic can be overlooked (a mumsnet bugbear which they said they woud fix!)

GoodnessKnows Mon 17-Feb-14 20:39:39

Try Aldenham Preparatory School
http://www.aldenham.com/prep/mobileindex.php

GoodnessKnows Mon 17-Feb-14 20:42:26

One thing to note is that any support to be provided is unlikely to be concerned by your fees or by the LEA (Local Education Authority). Instead, you'd expect to pay heftily yourself. Check this with the particular school though.
By contrast, provision may be free in the state system - but will inevitably need to be supplemented by you as it won't be sufficient to make 'sufficient' progress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now