Talk

Advanced search

Australian Autism Support

(2 Posts)
shell1911 Wed 22-Jan-14 10:58:54

My husband has had a job offer for work in Sydney. We have travelled there once before pre-children and have a good idea what the city has to offer. We have two young children, my son is 3.5 yrs and has high functioning Autism and sensory processing difficulties. He should be starting a mainstream school here in Sept. I am trying to find out information and others experiences on this subject. Have you had experience of the Australian Education system? Any comments or advice would be gratefully received!

mum2anxious Tue 04-Feb-14 18:54:54

As far as I know there is no SEN legislation in Oz - no statementing process so legal obligation to provide help for your child. (Mind you its very hard to actually get it here).I've heard that there's more help in other ways, not really sure how it all works - i think you get given an allowance to spend on professionals as you wish but this doesn't cover education. I might be wrong tho. try googling pomsinoz, and then do a search on there. Some states are better than others I believe.If you're happy about the move in other ways I wouldn't let this put you off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now