Advanced search

Advice on relocation during the SEN assessment process

(5 Posts)
fumerella Mon 24-Jun-13 12:52:43


We are thinking about moving out of London. My son has an ASD (high functioning) and is at the start of the assessment process. I just wanted to hear from others who have moved during the assessment process. Did it slow things up? Is it best to get the assessment from the area to which you will move? Or does it not matter?

I also wanted to know about what the issues are surrounding moving a child from a mainstream to special school.

Many thanks in advance!

nennypops Wed 26-Jun-13 22:27:54

I think it would slow things up, because the new LA will probably want to start again.

You should probably repost this on the separate SEN section further down the page for more responses.

Badgers5 Sun 30-Jun-13 16:57:25

If you are thinking of moving to West Sussex it may be worth thinking again. I understand from speaking to parents that London is better than here for Statements.

manishkmehta Fri 13-Sep-13 23:40:13

If you are moving then there is no easy answer. If you have had reports done by your current lea then forward them to the new lea. Personally I think the new lea, if you don't have a statement, will reassess. Why? Because it slows things down. I don't know of any lea in a rush to meet needs, call my cynical.

Don't forget your current lea has 26 weeks to complete the statutory assessment. If you are at week 1 then moving isn't an issue if you have to start again. If you are at week 25 I'd wait for the statement as once its issued the new lea, when you move, become responsible for the provision. So as you can see better to move after the statement is issued if you can wait that long.

Get in touch if you have specific concerns, thanks Manish Mehta.

meagle Tue 17-Sep-13 12:00:33

Hi, I would strongly suggest that you wait and get the statement where you are. My son spent 2 years' at a rubbish London secondary that ignored his needs before we realised we could ask for a statement ourselves. LA initially refused but then caved in when we appealed. The assessment was just starting when we moved to Surrey. We had to reapply to Surrey and were turned down. By then my son was in year 10 and we gave up trying as we knew we would have to fight it all the way, and that time was against us. A statement opens so many doors, and without it you find you have to convince/inform/educate the new school and all the teachers all over again to get the right support and this is very stressful and time consuming.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: