Advanced search

visual perception deficit.

(8 Posts)
WhenWeMet Wed 06-Mar-13 16:31:25

After some intervention at school action level my Ds (y2) was not making progress. He was assessed by the EP. She says he has visual perception deficit. He has now been referred to OT.
Does anyone have any experience of this and if so any advice please.
Thanks for reading.

horsemadmom Thu 07-Mar-13 15:35:15

Do you mean visual perceptual difficulty?

WhenWeMet Thu 07-Mar-13 18:19:22

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". One in the same I should think. Any advice?

horsemadmom Sat 16-Mar-13 10:55:34

Go to a Behavioral Optometrist IMMEDIATELY! We use a fantastic one in Potters Bar. You may find that your DS has visual convergence issues. An OT is of no value for this. You also need a specialist dyslexia teacher- V.P.D. is under the dyslexia umbrella. In case you haven't done your googling, your DS does not form mental pictures. Does this sound familiar: Sounds out every word (can't recognise words by their shape), writes phonetically,learns by listening, does ok on a spelling test and then misspells the same words in writing tasks, confuses mathmatical symbols, can't do a jigsaw, needs to see an object entirely to recognise it (can't see what he's looking for if it is partially obscured)....Fix his vision (this is just a funny eye/brain wiring glitch) and get the specialist teacher to teach him ways to compensate.
My DD thought she was stupid at age 6 but felt so much better knowing that it was all fixable. Now age 11, she's a voracious reader and going off to one of those top of the league table schools. PM me if you need more info.

Snowfedup Sat 16-Mar-13 11:08:11

If you think homeopathy works then a behavioural optometrist is the eye equivalent - if you want a proper free eye examination get a referral to an orthoptist !

horsemadmom Sat 16-Mar-13 18:53:09

Ummmm. No.
A Behavioural Optometrist is a fully qualified optometrist who has done several years extra qualification. A proper one has specialist equipment that is used to test how the eyes work together and then prescribe specs that improve eye function.
To be charitable, and assume that you speak from ignorance, a person who advises silly excersises and demands to see a child every week at great cost is not a behavioural optometrist- I've heard of people who have been put through great expence for no gain with this type of person. An orthoptists makes things like shoe insoles and custom surgical braces. Nowt to do with eyes.
The person my DD sees is very highly regarded and gets fantastic results. DD went through 2 different perscriptions from our regular optometrist with no improvement because he didn't have the kit that measured her eye movements. We lost a year with no improvement. Then we saw her behavioural optometrist and she did 6months of patching and had specs with a prism et voila! It was like a miracle!

Snowfedup Sun 17-Mar-13 06:47:05

Oh that's so funny you are talking about orthotics not orthoptics, I am impressed with your knowledge about registered health care professionals !

Try this link
Or google behavioural optometry pseudoscience !

alimac87 Mon 18-Mar-13 14:51:05

You may mean visual stress (which is called various things), which can be a component of dyslexia.

We ended up seeing our NHS optometrist (possibly the wrong word, please don't jump down my throat), to sort out DD's issues in focusing and tracking; and we saw a professor of opthalmology who did an assessment and prescribed tinted glasses to reduce DD's problems with print appearing to swirl around. I am a sceptic, I'm well aware that there is some pseudoscience around... We saw qualified people not people with expensive miracle cures and it has definitely made a difference. By no means a miracle cure - DD is still dyslexic - but she finds reading much more comfortable. Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now