Advanced search

Need advice for my 7 year old niece

(3 Posts)
kathy79 Tue 12-Feb-13 09:44:01

Hi everyone

My sister has a 7 year old daughter who has always had problems with eye contact and social situations in a school enviroment. At a parents evening earlier this week the school has expressed real concern as she:

Watches other children start activities and will not join in on her own.

Will only join in when really pushed to do so. Will not voulunteer information unless really puhed.

Answers in a tiny voice when pushed so no one will hear even when asked to use a big voice.

Theres a lengthy delay between when the teacher asks her something and when the child responds.

No eye contact at all.

Has problems with remembering certain details and rules in maths.

Has no friends and has difficulty engaging with other children. Only really realtes well to my 11 year old son who has aspergers syndrome.

Has co-ordination difficulties and is unwilling to do anything like walk on a curb, log etc or climb ropes etc.
She recently was pushed and encouraged to try to walk along a log but she fell off and all the children laughed at her.

Her behaviour at home is clingy, still no eye contact. Constantly seeks aproval. Then changes on a dime to defient, unwilling to answer questions or communicate. Hides her face and blows up into a full blown war between mother and child. Usually with the child not responding at all.

She arm flaps like crazy at home when excited.

Her behaviour the last month at home has deterioted and her mother is unsure what to do.

The school she attends is a little mainstream school with one class of 30 per year group. The school although conserned have made her attend a little group to help with social skills where they get her to do tasks and change the children she works with. They also try to get her to answer questions by picking her out of the group and they have to really push. She has been attending these classes for 5 months with very little improvment as this is still their major concern.

Any advice on what to do and how to go about this please?

many thanks


kittycat68 Tue 12-Feb-13 16:43:13

schools dont have the budgets for any assments she needs to go to her Gp and ask for a camhs referal. long lists though. if she can afford it get a physcologists report done privately much much quicker and if there are any real major conerns like aspergers it will be identified. Aslo with a report done it will action the school further into meeting her needs.

dontknowwhat2callmyself Fri 22-Feb-13 21:20:41

Have the school talked about assessment with an Educational Pschycologist? Maybe your sister could ask them about this. Otherwise as above poster says go to GP and ask for a referral to a developmental paediatrition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now