Talk

Advanced search

Assessment for ASD, what to expect?

(3 Posts)
TheFeministsWife Mon 03-Oct-11 17:11:50

DD1 is 8 and in Year 4. Her last teacher in year 3 asked if she could refer her for an assessment as she thought she may be somewhere in the spectrum. Our appointment is on Friday and I was wondering what we could expect? DD1 is a bit nervous which is actually unusual for her. I haven't told her what the assessment is for just explained it will be a bit like her Speech Therapy sessions where she will be given various work to do.

Do they seperate you and your child so you can explain freely what her problems are? As I really don't want dd1 to overhear what I'm saying as I don't want to give her a complex.

Thanks for any tips you can give.

Tota1Xaos Mon 03-Oct-11 17:24:29

procedure varies from area to area unfortunately, so I would phone up the doctor's secretary to get information as to what the appointment format is likely to be, whether it will just be one paediatrician, and will be a preliminary information gathering appointment or will involve several professionals, as often a full asd assessment will be multi-disciplinary, and to address your concerns about your DD being in the room. A preliminary appointment is still likely to involve a lot of background info about your DD's medical/development from PG and birth onwards, and about your DD's behaviour/communication etc.

TheFeministsWife Mon 03-Oct-11 20:16:32

Thanks, I will give them a ring tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now