Talk

Advanced search

What help should my ds be getting? (ADHD & dyslexia)

(4 Posts)
indiastar Tue 20-Sep-11 14:38:39

Hi,
Hope I am posting in the right place as I am new to all this...
Ds is 8 and has recently been diagnosed with ADHD, he is also dyslexic and there is talk of slight autism/aspergers. We have know about the dyslexia for a long time.
Found out today that some of his friends (who have no formal diagnosis of anything) are having extra 1 to 1 help at school 3 x week. Ds is getting nothing. They want the EP to see him, but can't get anyone until Feb/March/April time. Have spoken to SENCO and he says that there is lack of funding/time etc.
What would you do in this situation? What should I be asking/demanding of the school? Can I get a EP privately? They said he has an IEP, but I have never seen it. He is already behind, but is apparently 'slightly' better than his friends that are receiving one to one. Feel like my ds has pulled the short straw and is not getting any help.

Thanks for reading!

carocaro Tue 20-Sep-11 18:14:48

Yes if you can afford it, pay privately, the funding is scarce. If the school is good, they will take the report and put in place to help with the existing teachers and TA's. Our school started reccomending this to parents last year. There is no point demanding anything, it's all to do with £ available, yes they have a legal obligation to help but it is such a lengthy drawn out process and easier to get on with it yourself by scraping the £ together.

They should sit down and go though his IEP each term and set targets, you can bollock them on this, demand to see his IEP and have a meeting. Write a letter to the SENCO asking for this. I was mad when I found out a Chineses boy was having extra help for English but my dyslexic son was getting nothing, which has now dramatically changed. He can't see an EP unless he is at school action plus on his IEP and if you have not seen it how do you know where he is?

So you and school need to push it more. Good luck.

indiastar Tue 20-Sep-11 20:49:41

Thanks for the reply. Will try and go privately and ask to see his IEP. Unfortunately, it's a small school and they are short staffed, so I don't think there are any spare teachers/TA's available.

Wordswell Wed 21-Sep-11 00:29:54

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now