Talk

Advanced search

Is a speech delay always a sign of ASD?

(10 Posts)
olivo Tue 13-Sep-11 21:21:58

by which I mean, if a child has a speech delay, can they exist on their own, or are they considered part of an ASD? Whenever I look up speech delays, they are always linked with autism, there is not much lone info on them.

CrackerFactory Tue 13-Sep-11 21:26:01

No surely not, I thought speech delay is common. I can't believe it is always linked to autism. Any wise ones among you?

LynetteScavo Tue 13-Sep-11 21:26:49

How much of a speech delay are you thinking of?

I'm pretty certain up to a certain age a speech delay can be just that and nothing more.

BedHog Tue 13-Sep-11 21:27:43

I'm not an expert, but I'd have thought there are many reasons for speech delay. Deafness, for example, or my friend's DD has speech and other delays due to a condition related to epilepsy. Afaik she has no asd. My niece didn't speak until late simply because she was lazy and let her older brother do all the talking. Now you can't shut her up!!

olivo Tue 13-Sep-11 21:29:29

DD is 24 mo and has been diagnosed with an expressive delay. NOt sure how much in terms of months or anything, she says some single words, puts a couple together, v good understanding and can communicate through her single words and gestures and pointing. I suppose she maybe speaks likean 'average' 18mo? Some just say she is late talker.

olivo Tue 13-Sep-11 21:30:10

she has had hearing tested and ears checked, no problems found there.

Catsdontcare Tue 13-Sep-11 21:33:18

The two are not necessarily linked speech delay isn't always present with autism and visa versa

olivo Wed 14-Sep-11 20:52:59

thank you!

moneytree Tue 20-Sep-11 15:44:49

My son had speech delay without autism

Sassyfrassy Tue 20-Sep-11 22:22:34

My youngest daughter has just turned three and has an expressive speech delay. She only speaks three words, but signs many more. She has no signs at all of autism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now