Talk

Advanced search

Retained primary reflexes

(6 Posts)
tiggyh Wed 20-Jul-11 19:54:15

Hi there

Does anyone have any experiences of getting help or advice from the The Institute for Neuro Physiological Psychology www.inpp.org.uk?
My 7yr old son has some retained primary reflexes diagnosed by an optometrist and from what I have read online there is a link between these and dyspraxia/dysgraphia. My son has real trouble trying to write / concentration issues / cross laterality and wondered if anyone else has had any success with the sort of daily exercises that are suggested to inhibit the primary reflexes?

thanks

oddgirl Thu 21-Jul-11 11:32:46

Hi Tiggy
have pm you but if you want more on this try reposing in special needs section-there is a lot more traffic. Several posters (esp IndigoBell) have extensive experience in this area.
HTH

oddgirl Thu 21-Jul-11 11:33:08

whoops-rePOSTING

Helenagrace Thu 21-Jul-11 13:26:29

No experience of that institute but my dd has retained primary reflexes, along with dyslexia, dyspraxia, dysgraphia and convergence insufficiency.

We're currently doing an exercise programme devised by her behavioural optometrist. I think it's helping. She's certainly more coordinated and that has boosted her confidence. Her handwriting has also improved - but she's been doing the speed up programme as well so I'm not sure what has been the biggest help with that.

plus3 Fri 22-Jul-11 18:43:48

My Ds has a retained neck reflex & saw a behavioural optometrist. We had prism lens & 8 weeks of vision therapy. Initial results were good but not sure he has retained it. He is 7 & we were told he was young to have been diagnosed. Have a review appointment in Aug. To find out.

Nanny01 Sat 13-Aug-11 21:30:04

Hi my 12 yr old son has some of these problems they came to light when we had an occupational therapy report done for him. I know when the statementing process is done there will be an OT programme to help him with these sort of issues. I would hearten you to get a private OT report to find out the extent of his problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now