Talk

Advanced search

adult assessment

(4 Posts)
happychappy Sat 16-Jul-11 20:09:37

Does anyone have any idea how much it would/will cost to be assessed for dyslexia.

I'm almost certain I am dyslexic and am starting a university course next year and know that if I am assessed prior to the course starting there is more support available for me so am considering paying for it before starting.

creativeclay Sun 17-Jul-11 12:50:45

I've paid £500 for a child's assessment, but I think it could be cheaper for an adult assessment as it will be more straightforward cognitive tests and less likely to involved discussions with teachers and parents. Perhaps £2-300?

I know that the Access to Learning fund in my university would fund a dyslexia assessment but you could only access that once you'd enrolled, so you are right, it might be worth paying for it now to get the wheels in motion.

If you get a dyslexia diagnosis, you can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance before you enrol. This would involved getting a needs assessment and you'd need the EP report before getting that. And then after the needs assessment, you need to get your funding in place and liaise with the suppliers to get any equipment. It takes a bit of time for all the paperwork to go through as well - I think that if you wait until the start of term, you would probably be waiting until December to get everything sorted.

What you could get depends on your diagnosis and course, but it could include: computer with software, better access to library books, photocopying allowance, printer, scanner, dictaphone, pda, notetaker, extra time in exams.

happychappy Sun 17-Jul-11 19:46:43

Thank you, where did you get your assessment, My sons was done in Italy and as its very mild and there isn't really any funding we haven't pursued that avenue of help. His first language is Italian and therefore eligible for funding very quickly so is getting individual help based on this difficulty

dolfrog Sun 24-Jul-11 23:19:30

happychappy

Dyslexia is a man made problem, and language dependent.
The cognitive issues that cause dyslexia when using the Italian Language are slightly different to those that can create dyslexic problems in when using the English Language.

May be you should focus on the underlying cognitive issues which can cause the dyslexic symptom, or the Cognitive Subtypes of dyslexia which could be causing the dyslexic symptom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now