Talk

Advanced search

Possible dyslexia, advice needed please

(4 Posts)
mcmama Sat 18-Jun-11 08:38:45

Hi all,

I'm new on here and would like some advice as to whether I'm worrying unnecessarily.
I've just had a meeting with my DS1's teacher regarding his progress, he's in year 3 - age 8. Me and my DH have had concerns that he may be dyslexic, has a lot of the symptoms. We've been told that his writing level is 2c, so slightly below expected average at year 2 and his numeracy level is at 2b, average for year 2. I obviously realise that there are kids that may be struggling more than my DS but dont want him to be in a position where he's not struggling enough to get the help he needs not to fall further behind. She says his reading level is at a 2a (expected average for year 3) yet the books he brings home from school are ORT gold which are for year 2 or age 6-7. Anyone else experience this, seems odd to me? My DS teacher has agreed to ask a another teacher at school to screen for dyslexic tendendencies. So anyone who's LO has dyslexia, at what point was it diagnosed? Do they have to be 1, 2, 3 or more years behind expected levels to be diagnosed or helped?

Sorry its so longwinded,
thanks, x

Georgelassosthemoon Sat 18-Jun-11 21:09:15

Hi, My DD was diagnosed as dyslexic in year 3 after struggling to learn to read and write. Her Sats levels in year 2 were all just slightly below average(except for writing which was poor) but there was a huge difference between between her verbal ability and what she could produce in writing. She was lucky to have a fantastic teacher in year three who recognised this and arranged for her to be tested. From then on she had extra help in the form of time out of class with the SEN support and when she progressed to secondary school she was given an Alphasmart word processor and extra time and a laptop for exams. For her, being diagnosed as dyslexic was a positive thing, she gained so much confidence from realising that she was just as capable as everyone else but in a different way and she progressed in leaps and bounds. Follow your instincts and if you're not happy with the results of the screening test ask to be referred to the Ed Psych.

mcmama Sun 19-Jun-11 11:28:52

Hi, thanks for your reply Georgelassosthemoon, its good to see the system does work sometimes smile

Am I right in thinking that your DD was working just below average for her age? Its just that I've heard so many stories that schools won't refer to Ed Psych until the child is 2 years behind!

Georgelassosthemoon Tue 21-Jun-11 19:51:13

Yes, she was about a year behind with her reading but a bit more with her writing. We did have to wait about 18 months to see the Ed Psych but she did get additional help more or less straight away. She always had a positive attitude about it and was a hard worker (has just finished her A levels). DS who is also dyslexic is a different kettle of fish! Good luck with your DS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now