Advanced search


(5 Posts)
tamtam2 Tue 24-May-11 23:12:53

hi i have just been told that my dd is severly dyslexic and that she should have a statement ,but someone just said to me that the La dont take any credance of a private physcoligist ,so what do i do now?

niaomi Fri 27-May-11 12:17:44

You need the school to get an Local Educational Physcologist, to come out and have your child assessed. The EP will then from their findings along with the schools evidence of any action plans , should then be sent to the LA.

You need the school to push for An EP, In order to get the ball rolling. It worked for us.

Hope this helps.


tamtam2 Fri 27-May-11 15:06:53

thankyou Niaomi,

SammySea Sun 29-May-11 00:38:03

Hi Tamtam2,
I agree with Niaomi, LA EPs' input is very important and...
What seems to be key in the statutory assessment process is the evidence that the school can provide to show that they are not able to meet your DD's needs with JUST the SEN funds that they are already allocated. As labels for SEN (dyslexia, ASD etc.) do not automatically meet the criteria for a statement.
So have a conversation with the school about what they are doing already, what the impact has been on your son's progress and what they think would make the difference...


ClenchedBottom Sun 29-May-11 00:59:56

You will need to be able to show the history of support received already.
Also, do be aware that very many private Ed Psych reports say that DC are 'severely dyslexic' and need Statements, a LA Ed Psych may agree the child is dyslexic but disagree with the need for a Statement.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: