Talk

Advanced search

Applied for a Statutory Assessment - have I done the right thing?

(3 Posts)
Bugsy2 Thu 19-May-11 14:37:12

Its been a while since I've posted on magnificent mumsnet, but I was looking for some advice. My DS received a diagnosis of ASD / Aspergers in 2007 & since then he has had a full cognitive assessment and has multiple impairments: dyslexia, dyspraxia, short-term memory issues, sequencing issues & the list goes on & on. He is in year 6 now & he's a bright lad & does well in maths & science. He's about 2 years behind with spelling, writing & reading, even with the attention of dyslexia SENCO every week. He goes to a teeny, weeny private primary school where he is in a class of 6 (yes, your read that correctly) & the teacher can only just cope with his behaviour. He has fairly classic Aspergers symptoms & can be a very great pain.
Over the years I've been told that I don't stand a hope of getting a statement (first by the head of the state primary he used to go to & then by the head of teeny, weeny private school). I realise schools hate statements like women hate cellulite, so I've finally plucked up the courage to apply for a SA. I have sent a letter highlighting how DS's problems & behaviour have gone downhill in the last year & I've sent them nearly 200 pages of correspondence, copies of his "behaviour book", reports, diagnosis blah, blah blah.
Anyone care to rate my chances? Despite the humour, I am very nervous about it all & nervous for the future of my DS too.

NIGHTOWL65 Sat 11-Jun-11 01:54:37

you have done the right thing and you can apply for this on your own. i have just applyed for this to with the help of the parent partnership link below. as my dd as just gone downhill with her behaviour and still waiting for pead to see her again. the school has done every thing to help get her the help she needs to www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Schoolslearninganddevelopment/SpecialEducationalNeeds/DG_10016184

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 19-Jun-11 13:55:57

You have definitely done the right thing. I'm not sure that any 1:1 would be funded by the LA if you are at a private school, but I'm not sure. If you repost this in SN children, you will find lots of experience and support. It's a very busy board. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now