Talk

Advanced search

Should I make a fuss?

(8 Posts)
Jammyrella Sun 28-Nov-10 07:48:18

DD is 3y 5m and goes to pre-school, has been there since September. (Went to nursery 2.5 days prior to that)

About a year ago I mentioned to HV about concerns with her speech. We have had hearing tests - hearing OK now, but think probably has had episodes of glue ear associated with colds when younger which has contributed to delayed speech. Also have had 3 (I think) assessments with speech therapist, each of which has said yes there is a delay, but speech is improving and we will continue to assess. Last of these assessments was at pre-school and was the most positive of the reports to date. Pre-school in the meantime had put DD in a group working on improved communication, which is good.

So up until recently I have been fine about this. Then pre-school said they wanted to put DD on SEN register. I was a little but generally thought if it makes sure she gets what support she needs then thats good. But when I asked to see her plan (IEP?) - and I had to ask, it was not offered - all it says is target is to improve speech, and action is for adults to mirror correct speech back to DD (in a positive, reinforcing way). Now thats a fine action, but surely it should be doing done as a matter of course? I certainly have been doing it for a year now. I am a little hmm that it needs SEN registration to achieve this. In my mind either shes doing ok and we just keep on doing what we have done and watch her continue to catch up, OR, she does need more help and the SEN registration and the plan should actually do something to achieve this.

Should I raise my concerns/annoyance with the teacher? She gives something of a "this is how it is and thats ok" impression, in a very reassuring way, which leaves me feeling very awkward if I question anything. I also dont want to get into the role of stroppy parent, as hopefully DD will continue through the primary. Yet of course I want to do right for DD.

So any advice. And sorry this has been so long!

Jammyrella Sun 28-Nov-10 18:17:05

Bump? Any advice, anyone?

SingleDadio Sun 28-Nov-10 18:20:12

Is this pre-school part of a primary school or on its own? I know in our nursery/reception if children are having support from a Speech therapist then they are automatically placed on the SEN Register at Early Years Plus, so that in the future things can be monitored. The IEP should then consist of targets set by the Speech and Language therapist, usually with a pack of work for the school to complete with the child.

Jammyrella Sun 28-Nov-10 19:02:55

It's a pre-school as part of a primary. The IEP was filled in by the teacher, not the speech therapist, and only has one the target and one action for the pre-school staff. So I don't know if I should be relieved that they don't think much needs to be done, or if I should be angry that what they have said is a bit rubbish.

SingleDadio Sun 28-Nov-10 22:52:40

Has the Speech and language therapist sent recommendations into school with targets etc? If so, then these should make up the IEP.

Shamster Mon 29-Nov-10 16:19:37

We don't automatically put children on our SEN register unless there are concerns aswell as Speech and Language. An IEP should only be issued when teachers/practitioners are doing something over and above what they would normally d for children. However, it is useful to have a record of what has been done to help your child; it's all evidence.All settings should shaer each IEP with parents, and give them a copy to keep at home. 'To improve speech' does sound a bit wooly. We make sure our taregst are SMART: Specific, Measured, Achievable, Realistic and Time bound. I agree with SingleDadio: if the SALT has set targets then they should be the ones on the IEP.

vallenster Mon 29-Nov-10 21:43:19

If your child is given an IEP then you HAVE to see it, because you HAVE to sign it! If that helps! - ypou have to sign it to offically give your day to to go ahead with the targets as you are the parent. I know because i have to sign my sons IEP's on a regular basis since he was 2 (now 8) so either it's an unofficial target, or they're not going by the book...
Good luck with it..

Jammyrella Mon 29-Nov-10 22:26:39

This is all very interesting!

I have seen it, but only because I asked! I will raise it with the teacher, but am glad I waited as it's given me a chance to calm down and hopefully be a bit more tactful about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now