Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Slings in winter

(8 Posts)
Firsttimer7259 Fri 02-Oct-09 21:48:52

I am due with my first in January and would like to use a wrap sling (I think). But how do you combine sling and coat? I have not bought a maternity coat yet (or possibly just an oversize coat). I live somewhere cold enough that I definately will need a coat that closes up.

How have you managed?

zisforzebra Sat 03-Oct-09 00:08:15

I had DS1 in a sling in february/march and wore a big coat that just did up with a belt around us both. It worked really nicely. smile

VirginiaLoveGlove Sat 03-Oct-09 17:52:48

If you look at Bigmamaslings and other online sling shops like Natural Connection and you will see babywearing coats. they can be used as a maternity coat too. These coats allow you to continue carrying a baby and toddler for the next 3 yrs inside either on your back or front.

if money is an object, then you can use an oversize fleece as maternity wear and use the same fleece for the rest of the winter too.

the next idea is to join UKbabywearingSwap (yahoo group) and get one second hand.

Tangle Mon 05-Oct-09 22:39:05

There's also a pattern somewhere for a dead easy, no-sew fleece poncho (bascially cut a big circle and cut a head hole in the middle that you and baby share... - let me know if you're interested and I'll track it down)

DD was an April baby, but 2007 was a pretty grotty year. I used to carry her in a Hug-a-Bub with a massive fleece done up over the pair of us. DC2 is due at the end of January and I'm trying to decide whether to do the same again or ask for something slightly more stylish for Xmas.

VirginiaLoveGlove Tue 06-Oct-09 14:20:47

i have read and seen a pic somewhere where someone took a fleece a size or two bigger than they normally wear and cut a T-shaped hole at the right height on the back to make a babywearing coat. Best experimented with a charity shop bargain at first I would think then maybe upgrade to one from the Supermarket.

BertieBotts Mon 19-Oct-09 09:36:10

I found it didn't matter that the coat didn't do up all the way because the baby was like a radiator strapped to my front! Had to make sure he was warm enough though.

newlark Mon 19-Oct-09 21:23:17

I just used one of my husbands jackets (goretex type) and did it most of the way up. I mistly back carry now though so haven't quite worked out what I'll be doing when it gets really cold. I find it fine wrapping over a fleece jacket but not so good over a waterproof (though would be ok for a short trip probably) - need to wrap ds up pretty warmly for that but I have s jo jo maman bebe fleece lined snow suit for him that isn't too bulky so will be trying it out grin

dangskuLLANDBoneym Fri 23-Oct-09 17:58:45

A variation on what others have said is to get one of the sling covers on the market (or rig up your own if you're good at sewing). Maybe try second-hand. They cover just the sling + baby ; then you wear your coat as normal.

It's fine for a front carry while you wear your coat, as long as you choose one that's warm enough, and your coat is big enough to do up over your baby's bum grin. It's also pretty dad-friendly.

Not sure about back carries though, if you also want to wear a coat. Though depending on your needs, you may not need to think about that for the first winter with your LO. I'm thinking of the poncho option grin

Sling covers:

- These can be tied over you like another sling, or can be tied to the sling. Hence they're a universal fit.

- These are attached to the straps of the sling with poppers (I think) - not sure how well it would work for a wrap.

- These seem to be popular too

(I'm sure there are lots of others out there)

- Lots of mainstream types on eBay

Hope one or more of the suggestions in this thread helps, and congratulations on your bump smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now