Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Sling for a short person

(10 Posts)
funtimewincies Tue 15-Sep-09 20:42:37

I'm looking for a sling to use with my second child, due in November. I plan to use it mainly in the early months, so that I've still got a grip on ds who will just be turning 3. He doesn't usually need a buggy, so I don't want to get a buggy-board for the sake of a couple of months.

I'm only 5ft and was orginally looking for one that dh (6'2") could also use, but he's admitted to preferring a pram, so I could now choose one that fits just me. I tried a friend's ring sling and it was just too bulky with far too much fabric.

I was looking at either a stretchy wrap or a pouch sling. It needs to be quick and easy to put on and hopefully I'll be breastfeeding.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received grin.

WobblyPig Tue 15-Sep-09 20:54:48

I am 5 ft 1 and have got on very well with the Bjorn active carrier. Easy to put on with 1 hand and has good back support.

TitchyWitch Tue 15-Sep-09 21:14:38

I'm 5' and got on well with the moby wrap (quite cheap too, new on ebay). There is obviously a lot of fabric as it is a wrap but the ends are tapered so it makes it less bulky. It is quick to put on when you get used to it and feels very secure. You can leave it on and just pop the baby in and out. I have also had a Bjorn active but didn't use it till my baby was a few months old as she was tiny. It is really easy to use and comfy for you but not so snuggly for the baby. Hope that helps.

oopsacoconut Tue 15-Sep-09 21:17:01

Get a wrap - they are easiest if you need it for 2 people. I am 5ft8 and DH is 6ft4. Our Kari Me was perfect and super snug for those winter months. Totally hands free, fits any size baby and mostly importantly baby feel safe and secure when you need to bend over or move suddenly.

sasamaxx Tue 15-Sep-09 21:18:57

I would say a stretchy wrap would be ideal, or a connecta carrier even better as this can carry them well past the age of 1.

funtimewincies Tue 15-Sep-09 21:36:11

Thanks for the suggestions - are the stretchy wraps much of a muchness? There seem to be so many brands on the market I seem to be going round in circles grin!

oopsacoconut Tue 15-Sep-09 21:40:48

Yes I think they are kariMe and moby are I think 2 of the better known brands. They also hold their re-sale value well.

sasamaxx Tue 15-Sep-09 21:41:50

Yeah I'd say a moby/hugabub/kari-me etc are all kind of the same. You'll find that a stretchy will start to sag as baby gets heavier though in a few months so you'd prob then want to progress to a woven wrap. Don't let this put you off though - it's a natural progression. Because of this, it might be worth getting a popular brand so that you can sell it on easily. Hugabubs sell extremely well on ebay so although they are more expensive than the rest to begin with, they sell on a lot easier too.

sasamaxx Tue 15-Sep-09 21:43:06

x posted with oopsacoconut - sorry!

funtimewincies Wed 16-Sep-09 19:38:41

I'm tempted by the Sleepy Wrap as it reckons that the fabric is still stretchy but a bit more heavy duty than the Moby.

Any experiences?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now