Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Baby bjorn: do I really have to wait til dd is 4 months until she can face outwards?

(10 Posts)
mrsbabookaloo Fri 04-Sep-09 13:54:12

This is what it says on the baby bjorn website, but I'm sure I had dd1 facing outwards before that, as she was the type of baby that wouldn't put up with facing into my chest,and I think dd2 at 10 weeks will be the same. She hates the pram, so I'm running out of options!

So anybody face their baby outward in a baby bjorn before 4 months without ill effect??

mrsbabookaloo Fri 04-Sep-09 14:49:16

mrsbabookaloo Fri 04-Sep-09 16:55:45

any advice?

morningpaper Fri 04-Sep-09 16:57:18

I had mine forward-facing from six weeks - I always worried about this but she seemed SO secure and happy, and it wasn't all day

So I would try it and see if she seems happy

diedandgonetodevon Fri 04-Sep-09 16:57:27

From what I remember the outward facing position puts more strain on the hip joints as it's not a 'natural' position to be held in.

No idea if that will help with your decision but I believe that is what is behind the advice.

wotmum Fri 04-Sep-09 16:58:32

can't remember, sorry.... can you just try it and see if she looks comfortable? presumably it's more to do with how well they can support their head than age really?

wotmum Fri 04-Sep-09 16:59:13

oh, maybe it's hips rather than head - ignore me...

mrsbabookaloo Sat 05-Sep-09 14:11:54

Ooh, thanks: I always leave it too long to come back to threads and then feel rude, so thanks for replies. She's got very good head control, but the hip thing is a bit worrying...although "proper" sling users say that Baby Bjorns are bad for the baby's spine whichever way they're held.

You're right though, it won't be all day.

Thanks again.

octopusinabox Sat 19-Sep-09 15:11:26

Take a look at this which may be helpfulwww.continuum-concept.org/reading/spinalStress.html

alibaabaa Sat 19-Sep-09 23:07:24

Hi
I carried DD2 occasionally, forward facing from the age of 6 weeks.
Let your instinct kick in!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now