Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Handbag/babysling type thing

(17 Posts)
5inthebed Thu 03-Sep-09 23:10:24

I saw a baby sling come handbag where the baby is sitting more on your hip, and was wondering what make it is, and if they are any good. Was thinking it would be ideal for the school run.

I've got a Close baby carrier, but thought, seeming as ds3 is now a stocky boy, that this would be a bit better for hopping on/off bus or for getting in and out the car.

gloomysue Fri 04-Sep-09 13:31:20

I used to have one of these here is this what you mean?

5inthebed Fri 04-Sep-09 14:44:24

Sorry, no. It wasn't one that went around your waist, just across like a handbag, and it had a handbag underneath the sling as well.

BeingMother Sun 06-Sep-09 16:09:20

There's one called a hip hammock or there's pouch type ones that you can use as hip carriers (e.g. Baba Sling)

Is this what you meant?

Thandeka Sun 06-Sep-09 16:12:26

have read somewhere these ones are very bad for baby- they can't breathe properly in them and when measured their o2 sats drops massively. Just thought had better warn you.
babyslingsafety.blogspot.com/

5inthebed Mon 07-Sep-09 19:51:50

No its not sad

Maybe I should have just stopped the woman and asked her where she got it.

Thanks for your help though.

TitchyWitch Mon 07-Sep-09 22:01:16

Is this it?

www.debraclare.com/

If it is it is available at JoJo Maman Bebe.

5inthebed Mon 07-Sep-09 22:09:44

Oh thats the one! Thanks so much. Will look into buying one now smile

RGPargy Mon 07-Sep-09 22:23:42

Hello and sorry to barge in on this convo but I think that looks really uncomfortable for both baby and wearer!!

If you just want to hip carry, have you thought about a ringsling? Baby/toddler sits comfortable on the hip in a good position and you have enough fabric to be spread out over your shoulder so that it is COMFORTABLE to wear for a long period of time. I cannot see that being comfortable for the baby and i really think you will feel it on your shoulder/neck after a very short time, IMHO.

With a ring sling, the child sits at your hip with the sling obviously supporting baby. The correct position should be that you have a deep pouch for baby's bottom, the material should be knee socket to knee socket and that way the knees are higher than the hips, which ensures a comfortable carry for both baby and wearer, maybe like THIS?

If you'd like to find out more about babywearing, come over to Natural Mamas where there is a great oracle of advice and information from loads and loads of friendly mamas!!

5inthebed Tue 08-Sep-09 21:50:51

Thanks for that. I've looked it on jojo, and I don't like how the sling bit attaches, doesn't look safe.

Might get enough courage and venture there, thanks for the invite smile

RGPargy Thu 10-Sep-09 14:44:16

Come on in, 5. We dont bite.

Ceolas Fri 11-Sep-09 13:01:30

Is this the one you saw?

RGPargy Fri 11-Sep-09 13:03:03

I think that's the one she saw, yes.

Ceolas Fri 11-Sep-09 13:04:34

oh I am so slow...

looks a bit uncomfy imo hmm

RGPargy Fri 11-Sep-09 13:27:24

It looks AWFUL imo!!

foxytocin Sat 12-Sep-09 17:33:05

that looks v. uncomfortable. it will dig into the neck of the adult and be uncomfy in about 3 minutes. And as far as how the kid is sitting on it, dunno. for nearly £40, I would not want to find out.

BertieBotts Mon 19-Oct-09 09:45:31

I have used my changing bag as an emergency hipseat type thing - it wasn't the most comfortable of slings, but it took the strain off my arms and worked fine for about 20 minutes at a time. I would say easier to have sling on one shoulder, bag on the other and cross both over. Or just buy a bag with a strong strap and use that if you like the idea of having one thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now