Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Baby Bjorn or something else?

(5 Posts)
Stokey Wed 02-Sep-09 18:15:02

Someone has given me a baby Bjorn sling. Should i just use this or buy a different one? the Moby seems to do pretty well on here. First baby due in Nov

oopsacoconut Wed 02-Sep-09 18:18:48

I am not a Baby Bjorn fan - babies always seem crumpled in the bottom. I would (if you can afford it) go for either a moby or kari me, when they are tiny you can lie you baby across you and they are all snug up against you. My DD is now 1 and we still use the kari me all the time.

Loopymumsy Wed 02-Sep-09 20:53:53

Message withdrawn

GreenMonkies Wed 02-Sep-09 21:03:29

How would you prefer to be carried, in a parachute harness or hammock? Baby Bjorn type carriers are not very good for babies back or yours. Get a nice ring sling, much more comfortable and healthy for both of you, and you can use them for years, not just a few weeks!

Tangle Wed 02-Sep-09 22:48:28

In addition to the issues with the spine mentioned above, there are also concerns about how carriers such as the Baby Bjorn could impact on the hip development of a young child (see here). I also found them really uncomfortable for the adult (I think my shoulders coped for 10 minutes!)

Can you get to a Slingmeet? Depending on personal preference, newborns might get carried in a pouch, ring sling, stretchy wrap (such as a Moby), a Mei Tai or a Soft Structured Carrier (although they can be more difficult to get a newborn comfy in). A slingmeet would give you the chance to give the different carriers a prod and a poke to see which ones appeal to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now