Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I'm looking for a new sling -any advice for a stumpy woman with a large chest?

(4 Posts)
hophophippidtyhop Tue 25-Aug-09 15:09:57

Hi, I had a wilkinet for dd, who's now two, I stopped carrying dd2 at about 9 months, but she's now asking to be carried on my back. I've just started to ttc no2, so thinking of buying something that will enable me to carry dd2 on my shoulders occasionally (she's about 26lbs) and then save it to use with the hopeful newborn when I can't carry her anymore. Was looking at a moby or Kari me? I need something that goes over both shoulders - tried a ring sling and useless premaxx and they're no good for me. I also looked at a patapum, would like an ergo but can't afford it. I liked the wilkie, thought a moby might be nice for a small baby. As mentioned I'm short with rather a large chest so need something to accommodate it! I know the moby and kari me are essentially the same, are the instructions with one any easier than the other?

Tangle Tue 25-Aug-09 23:11:44

If you want to carry your DD1, I'd be wary of stretchy wraps, to be honest - I had a hug-a-bub with DD and it was fantastic when she was little, but by about 7 months it was really starting to struggle with her weight (stretched and didn't stay secure).

Have you ever used a wrap? A woven wrap would work, and they come in a variety of lengths to fit different carries and body shapes, but is a slightly steeper learning curve than a stretchy as the fabric is a little less forgiving - can be very supportive for both you and your LO once you get the hang of it though.

Or how about a Mei Tai? A bit easier to learn how to get DD securely on your back, but doesn't give you as many options or quite as much snuglability (IMO) for a newborn.

There are quite a lot of different Soft Structured Carriers (SSCs) out there, of which Ergos and Patapums are two of the more common examples - but there are lots of others and they do come up 2nd hand (Connecta's seem to get quite good press, but there are lots of others out there - not really my area as I never got on with buckles).

The only issue you might have with both MTs and SSCs is that if the carrier is big enough for your 2 yr old it may swamp your newborn - Ergo get round this by having a "newborn insert", Patapum and many of the others by making two different sizes. If you get something less structured it is possible to roll the waist to shorten it and do various other tweaks, but it makes things less straightforward.

Can you get to a slingmeet? It would be a good way to have a prod an poke of a few different types of carriers to see what you're comfortable with. If you want to look around at slings 2nd hand, Natural Mamas and UKbabywearingSWAP are both worth a gander. I'd be wary of getting a 2nd hand stretchy wrap after my experience, but I've bought all my other slings pre-used and they've all been absolutely fine.

Happy hunting

Tangle Tue 25-Aug-09 23:36:57

sorry - just realised I've got confused between your DD1 and DD2, but I'd still be wary of a stretchy wrap for a 26 lb DC. Moby do say they fabric's good to 45lb so in theory you'd be OK, but then Hug-a-Bub say "there is no weight limit" but I found 20lb was definitely too much for it.

If you wanted to give it a try there's one here on Ebay that could go very cheap (previously advertised here for £25 but didn't sell.

hophophippidtyhop Wed 26-Aug-09 08:01:45

Thanks for that, tangle. I did think that the wrap might not be strong enough for dd too, though I do want to try it for the next one! Was hoping to get away with one carrier but realistically I don't it's a workable idea!
Those links look very good, I'm going to have a good look at those later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now