Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

sling accessories

(11 Posts)
aendr Fri 21-Aug-09 10:23:13

What do people useful, what's not?

Shower cover, sling mirror, chew guards, pocket pouch, those coat things for the adult... that kind of thing?

aendr Fri 21-Aug-09 10:23:38

oops, missed a word: find useful

CMOTdibbler Fri 21-Aug-09 10:34:22

Only thing I've had was a pouch that fitted on the waist. Quite useful, but not big enough to fit anything more than purse and mobile in.

MrsBadger Fri 21-Aug-09 10:46:22

never used any 'accessories'
the only thing I got that I might otherwise not was an umbrella (am usually a hat type) to keep us both dry.

oh and the framed back carrier came with a sunshade thus that was fab as it's very hard to get a sunhat back on once it's been ripped off

aendr Fri 21-Aug-09 11:27:33

I'm definitely a hat type, DS likes pulling it and my glasses off if I hold him high enough! I bet in a back carry it'll be a choice between hair pulling and hat throwing. grin

CMOTdibbler Fri 21-Aug-09 11:35:50

If I'd thought of it early enough, I would have got a parasol for the summer - but it wasn't until someone on here mentioned it I realised the wisdom of it. Now he's big enough to put his own hat back on.

I wear my hair up, and have memory metal glasses to reduce the issues there

Babieseverywhere Fri 21-Aug-09 11:38:32

Sling mirror is fab, I used one to watch babe on my back when in a back carry, I also use it in the back lower seat of our double Phil and Ted buggy so the child in the back can see forward.

I bought a really big Adult raincoat at a local camping shop and that was big enough to cover me, DD and a sling in the front or back carry.

I also bought a waist pack from the camping shop to use as a changing bad. This was when I had one child and travel on buses all the time.

TheProvincialLady Fri 21-Aug-09 11:51:36

A friend lent me one of those special raincoats and it has been a godsend because I have DS1 in a pushchair and DS2 in the sling (for long journeys). I have never needed anything else though. I didn't even know that you could buy accessories!

newlark Fri 21-Aug-09 12:13:54

I've never used any accessories but am tempted by a baby wearing raincoat for the winter as I'm carrying ds on my back more now. Was thinging we could both wear fleece jumpers under the sling then have a raincoat over the two of us.

TheProvincialLady Fri 21-Aug-09 12:27:44

I reckon you could save £200 and just buy an extra large raincoat, cut a hole in the back and buy/make a waterproof hat or hood for the baby.

MoominMymbleandMy Fri 21-Aug-09 12:29:35

I use a transparent dome umbrella, a parasol, an Onbag, a sling view mirror, a MaM four season sling cover and a Mamajacket - not all at the same time!

The dome umbrella's good because I can pull it over both of us in a downpour and still see. The parasol's great if you have a DC who likes taking off sunhats.

The Onbag is a changing bag that's very spacious and can be worn as a rucksack, a shoulder bag and across the body. So you can use it whether you're front or back carrying.

The sling view mirror is nice for back carries if you have a DC who can't really communicate yet because you can smile at them to reassure them in it.

The MaM four season cover ties over any sling and is good for colder weather. The detachable hood for it is useless because it's too big, so I leave that off and stick a fleece balaclava on the DS instead because he doesn't like hats in winter either.

The Mamajacket is a beautifully made coat with a zip-in insert that can be worn in the front or the back to go over a sling. Or you can take out the insert and wear it as a normal coat. It is very warm so I've really only used it in very cold weather. Most of the time I wear a normal coat left unbuttoned but I usually front carry so I don't really need a babywearing coat that much at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now