Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

can't get to grips with my Ergo, any tips please?

(12 Posts)
jenniferturkington Thu 20-Aug-09 11:23:15

I have been using a Wilkinet and really love it, but I think DD is getting a bit heavy for the amount I wear her (still fine for short trips though). After some research I got an Ergo with the intention of wearing her on my back long in to toddlerhood. Only problem is I can't master the art of getting her in to the back carry position.
Does it get easier as they get bigger? Are there any tips to make it less of an endurance test?!

newlark Thu 20-Aug-09 15:23:09

There are different methods - I find it easiest to "hip scoot" - I do the carrier up round my waist with the back section on my hip. I hold ds on my hip and pull the back section up behind him. I use my arm on that side to reach around him to hold on to his back while I get my other arm into the strap then "scoot" him round to my back before putting the first arm into the strap on that side. I then "jiggle" a bit to get him seated properly and tighten straps as necessary. There are probably lots of you tube videos that expain it much better it does get easier though!

newlark Thu 20-Aug-09 15:25:19

this is roughly what I do

Celery Thu 20-Aug-09 15:28:40

For a beginner, the easiest method is to do it sitting down on a bed or sofa. Put the ergo on round your waist, sit down on the bed or sofa with baby next to you and put him in whilst you're sitting down, so there is a soft landing and not far to fall. I used to take him off my back by sitting down on the sofa first too, so that he just fell gently backwards. It just takes lots of practice, and you soon gain confidence in handling your baby in that way, so that soon enough you can do it standing up anywhere. Used to love scaring people by putting him in it whilst out and about. Lost count of the number of times people rushed up to "help".

Podrick Thu 20-Aug-09 15:31:05

Ooops I misread thsi and thought you were having trouble getting to grips with your ego grin

jenniferturkington Thu 20-Aug-09 16:45:31

grin ego is perfectly in check!

thanks for hints so far..

so what sort of age would you start wearing on the back? dd is only 6 months, but she has got used to 'looking out'in the Wilki, therefore she is not keen on the ergo in front carry position.

sasamaxx Sat 29-Aug-09 21:57:03

I agree with the sofa method but think it's a bit easier not to have it buckled to start with.

Place the ergo on the sofa with the 'seat' flat and the 'back' and straps leaning against the back of the sofa. Place child on 'seat' and then pull waist straps through baby's legs and lay on top.

Then sit immediately in front and fasten waist strap around your waist (this is easy since you pulled them through baby's legs already) Reach behind and slip arms through straps - fasten and you're done. Stand up and adjust.

ThePinkOne Sat 29-Aug-09 22:14:24

I looked on youtube for how to tie wrap slings when DS was little - there are hundreds of videos of different ways. Try searching on there I bet there'll be some smile

ThePinkOne Sat 29-Aug-09 22:16:34

Can I hijack slightly and ask what age people start back carries? DS is 6 months and I have a patapum which is similar to the ergo. Thanks!

PacificDogwood Sat 29-Aug-09 22:21:14

Yes, check You Tube. Lots and lots of examples on how to do it on there.

DS3 and I have graduated to the "Santa sack swing" - child stands with back to you in front of you, you take his L arm into your R hand and vice versa and kind of swing him on your back (going "weeeeeeee!!" while you're doing it grin).
Always stops stranger in their tracks wink but is very quick and easy way of getting him on my back.

sasamaxx Sat 29-Aug-09 22:33:57

ThePinkOne - I would start back-carrying at 6mths with a wrap, but SSC a little later but that's just my preference as the wrap can provide more security I feel.
Don't think I back-carried with SSCs or MTs until more like 10mths but then I was more of a wrapper then anyway.

Sorry that's not been much help at all has it hmm

ThePinkOne Mon 31-Aug-09 08:54:45

Thanks sasa, yes I'll probably wait a few more months then give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now