Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

what do you think of the ergo carriers?

(22 Posts)
becktay Fri 14-Aug-09 22:08:14

Hi fellow baby wearers,
Would really appreciate some advice from you. I wear DS2 who is 3.5 months in a Kari Me but find that after long periods of time I get a bit sore the next day. Kind of find the tying thing slightly faffy too as my baby is a bit of a whopper and I need to re tie if I take him out of it at all. Want to wear baby as long as poss if I can - till he's a small toddler.
Was thinking about an ergo as they put weight on hips . Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks for your help! smile

CMOTdibbler Fri 14-Aug-09 22:15:02

I've had an Ergo, but tbh didn't get on with it. IME, a MeiTai is a lot easier to wear, and they are really easy to tie.

If you want a buckled carrier, then a Connecta is better than an Ergo

Montifer Fri 14-Aug-09 22:22:16

I love our Ergo.

Wish I'd got it before the Moby Wrap, which I found a complete PITA and Bushbaby Cocoon, which was good but DS grew out of it quickly.

We took Ergo on hols when DS was 8 months (and a big 8 mo) and it was great, fab through airport / on plane / on beach / days out.
Really comfortable to carry and to be carried in it seemed.
DS slept like the proverbial baby in it.

TBH had forgotten about it until I saw this thread blush
DS is 14 months and toddling now but might get it out this weekend and see if he would like to be carried on my back.

They are quite pricey but worth it IMHO, they seem to hold their value too, I bought ours 2nd hand and it was still around £70.

LeonieSoSleepy Fri 14-Aug-09 22:40:40

Message withdrawn

becktay Fri 14-Aug-09 23:17:01

Oh thanks for your replies - so quick! I've wondered about a MeiTai CMOT so maybe I should try one on for size before I commit! Why do you think the connecta is better?
The other thing about the Ergo is it looks like I can persuade my lazy boyfriend to use it as there looks like there is less knack to it? Leonie - does your neck really really hate it?

twoboots Sat 15-Aug-09 07:16:15

we got the ergo sport after dd grew out of the bjorn. dp is very confident and can get dd onto his back alone just like [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nm3gHHT17o this]. I can only do that over he bed or with help, bt the front carry is easy and comfy.

twoboots Sat 15-Aug-09 07:17:36

sorry i'm pants at links

newlark Sat 15-Aug-09 07:59:42

I did like the ergo but it doesn't come that high up a toddlers back so may not last right through especially if they are a "leaner". Some of the other makes like patapum come in two sizes - I have the toddler patapum which is much better for my 2.8 yr old. It takes a few tries to get the hang of getting them on your back but does get easier! I've also heard good things about the connecta (also that they are man-friendly grin) and am a mei-tai fan too - do you have a slingmeet near you where you might be able to try som out?

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Sat 15-Aug-09 12:18:27

Message withdrawn

foreverchanges Sat 15-Aug-09 12:35:53

i loved my ergo when i used it it had a strong back support strap so that most of the weight taken in the small of the back not the shoulders ,used it till my dd was about 8/9 months

Flamesparrow Sat 15-Aug-09 13:09:37

I only got to try out an ergo last summer (DS was 2.5 but small) and loved it. Kept using it until I got pregnant again.

I think I'd prefer my hugabub or another wrap one for a little one though - I like the snugness

CarmelaDeAngelis Sun 16-Aug-09 20:39:56

I like the Ergo - it's quick and easy to use, I have an organic one - and the fabric is very soft - peachy in feel.

I like the sleep hood and the small pocket to hold a nappy for quick trips.

I find it easy to get my baby on my back with the Ergo sling.

I used mine with my child until about 3.5 years of age - when her legs got too long to get good support in this carrier - after that a wrap sling or colibri toddler carrier was better.

I use it with my new baby now - it represented very good value compared to say a tomy or bjorn sling as it could be used for a much longer time comfortably.

becktay Mon 17-Aug-09 20:33:22

Thanks everyone, you're a helpful bunch as ever. Am veering towards ergo but will have a look for sling meets in my area first i think. Then ebay beckons! smile

anotherstarfish Mon 21-Sep-09 22:47:20

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying an ergo but bit worried about baby going to sleep in it when on my back and having to muck about sorting hood to support her neck. Anyone know how much hassle it is? ta

Montifer Mon 21-Sep-09 22:55:17

How old is your baby?

We carried DS in the front position until recently (he's 16 months now) and he slept beautifully in there, the sleep hood is very easy to do when they are in front.

He falls asleep now on DP's back and we didn't bother with the hood, his head naturally rested on DP's back, his fat cheek seemed to form a natural pillow grin
I don't think it would be too much hassle to do the hood if you got everything in position before putting it on. I haven't mastered getting DS into the back carry position on my own yet but think it just takes a bit of practice.

Would welcome any tips.

rookiemater Mon 21-Sep-09 23:00:48

I got an Ergo and never got to grips with getting DS on the back singlehandedly, but another Mumsnetter I know swears by hers and had her DS in it until he was well past 3. She even bought a rain coat specially designed to be worn with an Ergo which was fairly fab.

mwff Mon 21-Sep-09 23:02:23

hood really isn't that much hassle. i have the oldest version (i.e. newer ones are much improved) and i can pull the hood out of the pocket and over a sleeping child no problem. if you have mobility issues with shoulders/elbows i find i'm almost always in a situation where i can ask a passer by to help and they're always more than willing (i don't need help with the ergo hood, but the hood on their coats when they wear them).

i think you need to search for mei tai/ergo and "superman" on youtube montifer. i've tried explaining how i get them on my back, but a video is worth a lot of words

there was a thread a while back, will see what i can dig up.

mwff Mon 21-Sep-09 23:05:12

thread i enter stage left about half way through the discussion disguised as mileniwmffalcon

ib Mon 21-Sep-09 23:08:15

I have an ergo and love it but due to their dodgy business practices (basically bullying of WAHMs and general lack of business ethics) would not buy one today. I'd get the equivalent from another manufacturer.

mawbroon Mon 21-Sep-09 23:10:19

Hey rookie - that'll be me then. smile

I didn't actually get mine until ds was 2 and we moved back to the city where I was getting buses a lot of the time.

I have only fairly recently stopped carrying ds in it because he is just too darned heavy (about 37lbs) and I am pg.

When he was 2-3yo, I could comfortably carry him for well over an hour on my back and he would sleep in there no bother too.

I found the sleeping hood ok, but it was tricky when i was wearing my kindercoat over the top.

HolidaysQueen Mon 21-Sep-09 23:12:41

love mine - started using it at 8mo and still use it very regularly now DS is 18mo. Imagine it will still be in use for a while actually as it's still really comfy. I carry him on my back unless I want him to nap in which case I find he prefers being on my front, and it's still comfy even with an 18mo.

I would say, if you are big-boobed like me then it can be somewhat unflattering wearing it on your back - the straps are not really designed for big boobs so everything gets a bit squashed and you need to use the middle tie which does your cleavage no favours! But I van live with that as the carrier is so comfy otherwise, and DS is always incredibly happy in it.

Montifer Tue 22-Sep-09 22:50:26

Mwff, just looked at Superman link.

Brilliant, DS and I are going to have fun tomorrow grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now