Talk

Advanced search

back carrier for older child

(14 Posts)
whoami24601 Tue 23-Feb-21 13:56:44

I'm looking for a good back carrier (or other solution!) for an older child. DS is 5 but is small for his age and only 16kg. We like to go on walks as a family but he inevitably ends up on DH's shoulders because he is soooo painfully slow at walking. I have a rucksack for DS2 13.5kg) so if we invested in something for older kids it could always be handed down. He wouldn't be in it for a full walk, just occasionally when we needed to move a bit faster. Is there anything out there that is suitable?

OP’s posts: |
cautiouscovidity Tue 23-Feb-21 14:08:02

I think carrying a physically able child at age 5 is a bit daft to be honest. They won't build stamina if they don't get a chance to build it up. Yes, you'll have to lower your expectations about speed / distance for a while to take into account your children's abilities but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Also, what happens if the younger child wants to be carried when they're 5 (and presumably heavier than DS1 is at 5)?

whoami24601 Tue 23-Feb-21 14:33:43

It's really not about stamina. He can walk far, he is just too interested in the world around him so it takes ages. The 5 minute school run used to take 45 minutes, so we bought him a scooter. DS2 is already faster than him. I just want something we can use for the times he does need carrying.
Thanks for the comment but I'm looking for a product recommendation.

OneForTheRoadThen Tue 23-Feb-21 14:39:45

Tula do ones for older children. I think it might be called the toddler range although I'm not 100% but they definitely say they are suitable for 5 and even older. I haven't used it myself as my children are lumps but I used a baby Tula and really rated it.

OneForTheRoadThen Tue 23-Feb-21 14:41:52

https://babytula.co.uk/collections/baby-tula-toddler-carrier yes here you go - carries up to 27kg. They are expensive they keep their value so you could always sell it on

JC12345 Tue 23-Feb-21 14:43:32

We have a toddler connecta that we've used up to about aged 4. Is very comfy and folds up really small (I still take it on school runs just in case).

ThursdayLastWeek Tue 23-Feb-21 14:44:53

I can sell you a toddler Tula for less than that grin

whoami24601 Tue 23-Feb-21 14:50:27

Ooh ThursdayLastWeek PM me smile

OneForTheRoadThen Tue 23-Feb-21 14:56:15

@ThursdayLastWeek if you don't sell it to OP there's a good fb group called Affordable Slings and Carriers where you could easily sell that!

whoami24601 Tue 23-Feb-21 15:14:51

Oh the toddler connecta looks good but I can't see a weight limit on it?

ThursdayLastWeek Tue 23-Feb-21 15:37:52

OneForTheRoadThen

*@ThursdayLastWeek* if you don't sell it to OP there's a good fb group called Affordable Slings and Carriers where you could easily sell that!

Ta muchly. I was in the Tula selling one back in the day but i found it a bit fevered fan girly for my liking and left, and now I can’t get back in there! So I’ve just been hanging on to them!

OneForTheRoadThen Tue 23-Feb-21 18:26:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whoami24601 Tue 23-Feb-21 19:42:11

My friend is big into slings and she's just told me about the 'Tula' greeting. It's enough to put me off 🤣

whoami24601 Fri 26-Feb-21 13:04:14

Thanks for the help here guys! I ordered a connecta and it's perfect! Weirdly the DS5 didn't feel as heavy in it as DS2. Something about weight distribution maybe?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in