Which sling or baby carrier would you recommend?

(94 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Sep-18 14:42:02

We're making plans to test and review new slings and baby carriers and we'd love to know which ones you'd recommend.

Choosing the right sling or baby carrier is a very personal decision. Often the best way to decide is just to try out a few from another parent or a sling library. But there are so many options to choose from it can be hard to know which one might work for you.

If you've bought and loved a sling or baby carrier in the last two years, we want to hear about it! Tell us which one you loved and why you loved it. Your comments will help us to create a shortlist of carriers to test and recommend to new parents.

OP’s posts: |
morewinedarling Sun 30-Dec-18 22:53:48

Stretchy wrap for the first few months, then I got a connecta and adored it, as did DD. Used it from 3 months to 23 months, although she'll still fit in now for back carries.

Would highly recommend a sling library though. What works for some doesn't work for others and you get a good feel for a few that way.

IsItBiggerThanTheBoxItsIn Wed 28-Nov-18 15:06:04

Wutti wrap for newborn to 5 months before she got too heavy. It was a stretchy mesh so great in the heatwave. I found the wrap really comfortable on my shoulders and back. Have tried a fair bit with my husbands Stokke carrier but it doesn't tighten enough at the shoulders or waist to fit me and there are too many buckles. I don't like the padded shoulder straps either, my preference is for wrap straps/ties. I have just bought a Didytai in the hopes it will be as comfy as the Wutti but with the support needed for a heavier baby.

Yasm1nK Tue 30-Oct-18 10:45:33

Hi all,

New to Mumsnet - I’ve been carrying my little one in a baby K’Tan which she loved but it’s getting really heavy now and a strain on my upper back (she’s 5 months + and a big baby) I defo prefer the softer slings as opposed to the more structured ones so am looking at the Izmi? Any thoughts on this or should I just get an Ergo? I’ve heard the JPMBB is great but I don’t want to spend ages putting a wrap on - the other suggestion was a meh tai, any help wolf be great smile thank you!

Hedgehog80 Thu 18-Oct-18 21:26:20

Tula ftg or explore .....
I cannot choose between these and I’m looking for advice if anyone could tell me which is better/comfier

INeedNewShoes Wed 03-Oct-18 13:09:37

cucumbum - can I ask what age you used the Adapt from? I'm hoping to use it for (hypothetical) DC2 from birth or once they meet the minimum weight and wonder if you found it good at the newborn stage?

Cucumbum Wed 03-Oct-18 13:05:38

Ergo adapt, I absolutely love it. Easy to put on, great lumbar support for the back and cross strap options for my narrow shoulders. I also love the hood thing to stop crumbs getting into baby's hair when I'm eating (or whatever it's true purpose is).

MarmaLaid Wed 03-Oct-18 11:50:50

Beco Gemini is my saviour, it’s comfy and supportive on the back

pattimayonnaise Wed 03-Oct-18 11:28:21

Had a boba stretchy wrap when my baby was tiny, she was 6lbs. We swapped to a Tula Free to Grow about 3/4 months ago. I'm not overly keen on using it for a front carry, I found the straps caused me pain and I got a trapped nerve, however using it with her on my back (she's now 10 months), suits me much better. I have quite narrow shoulders and he straps are fairly wide. I occasionally still have her on the front but I'm borrowing a sleepy nico from my local sling library and use that.

MrsWhite85 Wed 03-Oct-18 10:10:39

Love our karime

FlaviaAlbia Wed 03-Oct-18 10:02:08

Love the Boba 4g, it's so quick and easy to put in and get the baby into.

Tidypidy Wed 03-Oct-18 09:50:52

Last one we had was toddler Tula. Was amazing and so comfy. Previous fav when ds2 was smaller was boba 4g. Much prefer more structured carriers. Connecta gave dh and I awful back pain.

NuffingChora Wed 03-Oct-18 09:04:36

Lillebaby All Seasons, love how adaptable it is, can be used from birth and could still very easily use with my tall two year old if she’d agree! The zip down flap is great for hot weather, as well as the huge hood for naps. It’s also hip healthy with a safe (high!) carrying position (none of this carrying tiny babies round at crotch level with their poor face smothered in to the lower chest which seems to happen with Bjorns and makes me fear for their airways...). The lumbar support and thick padded straps also makes it really comfortable.

FutureDays Wed 03-Oct-18 08:51:46

Boba 4g

silkpyjamasallday Wed 03-Oct-18 08:48:38

Both DP and I had KTan slings for dd and loved them, and I still occasionally use mine now dd is a toddler for carrying her securely on my hip on the tube. Couldn't recommend enough, easy to use and loads of different positions possible as your dc grow.

fieldofwheat Wed 03-Oct-18 08:42:12

A stretchy one was great whilst my baby was small but once he got heavier I needed more back support. Tried several buckle carriers but finally settled on an Ergo baby 360 Air. Such a great carrier; light, comfortable and so adaptable - I found some of the fabric ones far too hot even in winter so the fact that this incorporates mesh is great. Used it abroad too.

morewinedarling Wed 03-Oct-18 08:39:45

I used a wrap when my baby was tiny, then got a Connecta. Absolutely loved it!! Still use it now and my daughter is nearly 2.

thereallifesaffy Wed 03-Oct-18 08:17:29

So glad I kept my Wilkinet in case (pleaseeee!!) I have grandchildren. Are they still made. Amazing things.

TillyMint81 Wed 03-Oct-18 08:07:16

Love my Tula but I definitely think you need to go to a sling library as what is good for one won't work for another.

IWouldLikeToKnow Wed 03-Oct-18 07:54:10

Beco Gemini without a moment's hesitation. Works from birth without a newborn insert that others require. Has a four position carry - forward facing, inward facing, on your side and on your back. And really really comfortable.

StuntNun Wed 03-Oct-18 07:33:15

Close Caboo for newborns then Tula or Connecta once they're a bit bigger. It would be really helpful to have some discussion of the disadvantages of carriers where the legs dangle straight down. Not only are these potentially bad for hips (where there is an underlying issue) but they are less comfortable for both the person wearing them and for the child. They also limit the usability of the carrier because when the child gets bigger their dangling legs get in the way of the adult's legs. In an ergonomic carrier the child's legs are horizontal in a seated position. I would also like to see some information about whether the child faces in or out. I'm always surprised how many parents buy parent-facing pushchairs but then insist their child wants to face away from them in the baby carrier. If a child is in a proper position with their head close to your chin (close enough to kiss) then they can see plenty by turning their head to one side but they can also cuddle in if they want to sleep or feel overstimulated. Another useful piece of information would be the TICKS carrying guidelines since a baby carrier used incorrectly can be dangerous for the child. There are lots of groups out there that can provide advice, the Sheffield Sling Library https://www.sheffieldslingsurgery.co.uk/ is an excellent place to start.

User260486 Wed 03-Oct-18 07:23:40

Tula.
Used it from 4 months till almost 3 yo. Not the best for newborn, but absolutely brilliant from 4 months. No back pain at all due to weight being distrubuted to the hips and not shoulders, so could carry the baby for long time.

qumquat Wed 03-Oct-18 06:59:39

Manduca all the way. I used it from newborn to 3. So comfortable and such good value given the three years of use I got out of it.

0hCrepe Wed 03-Oct-18 06:41:23

Our Beco Gemini was so comfortable with padded straps and a lovely design. Easy and quick to put on- I didn’t get on with the wraps I felt like I was in a straitjacket! Dd could also face out in it when she was old enough and you can do back carries.
I got a connecta for the summer as it packs up so small and it’s more lightweight and has a beautiful floral and bird design.

Naschkatze Wed 03-Oct-18 06:34:45

Love my Isara soft structured carrier. Very similar to a Tula which I also loved when I borrowed one from the sling library but a bit narrower (comfier for me and my petit boy) and extra buckles so it can be used for a hip carry. Brilliant for about 6-12 months when he wanted to see out. Still carry him on our backs very comfortably now (19months.)

glagdy Wed 03-Oct-18 01:41:39

And for hiking and when ds was much bigger an osprey backpack.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in